Chapter 3

Lee Diaz had a very exhausting day, she can barely keep her eyes open enough to get home and pass out in bed. For the past year now, her company faced so many challenges, she barely has time to eat. Having been elected as the CEO of their marketing and advertising company, she constantly has to prove that she is the right choice and that the company remains productive and can keep up with so many competitions in the marketing field. As she closed her door, coming home late from her staff meeting, her phone started ringing.

"Hello, ma. It's late, why did you call? Is it Waipo? Is everything okay?"

"Your grandmother wants to see you tomorrow. Come early, and have breakfast with her", her mother ordered.

"Yes mom, I'll be there", she answered. 

"Good!", then the call was dropped. No goodbyes, no asking how she was. Typical mom, typical.

Growing up, her mother always finds ways to ignore her. She constantly complains that she's too tall for a girl, too plain and too smart to her liking. As if it was her own fault that she was born this way. On the other hand, her mother dotes on her little sister, to whom her mother showers constant affection and attention. Jiya is her mother's mini version and is so opposite to Lee's physical and mental stature. 

If she looks back, growing up was painful for Lee, and if not for her father and grandmother making up for her mother's incapacity to love and take care of her, she would have been long adrift. She thought of the number of times her mother missed school programs and awarding ceremonies. And she also lost track of the times she brought home medals and trophies for her mom, only to be told that her mother is not home or is asleep so she couldn't see her. 

Oh, how Lee shed so many tears those days. But that was a long time ago, she's older now and too successful to hold on to grudges and a sad childhood. As she closes her eyes, she looks forward to tomorrow's breakfast with her grandmother. What could be so important that she asks for her to be there?