Chapter 16

"She's not getting better Tomas!" Fei Diaz shouted at her husband. "Looking at her like that kills me slowly. Please tell her the truth, tell her how you convinced Jaith to go away for her safety. Fix this, or I swear to God I will leave you". 

"Leave me?" Tomas Diaz shouted back. "How did I became the enemy here? Have you forgotten what she's been through? Of how we almost lost her?" 

"Almost is the word! And look at how she is now, do you call that living?!" sob Mrs. Diaz. "I want my strong and independent daughter back! You know we recently fixed our differences. With my insecurities as a mother, growing up I couldn't seem to handle her intelligence and her bravado. I don't have the answers to her endless questions too. And I was too ashamed to go to her competitions knowing that other stage mothers would be there and talk about their training and degrees when I have nothing to show and tell."

"She finally understood my fears, and have forgiven me. I can't watch her fail like this. Save her with the truth, or I'm leaving. I was never a good mother. I'm no good with words, and I wasn't there, so I don't know the whole truth. So, it's all on you Tomas!"

Fei Diaz already left the room but her husband Tomas Diaz is still staring out of the window. He thought of how does a father let go of his daughter? How does a dad let go of the little girl he loves? Of course, he loves his two daughters but his eldest is the one closest to his heart. Lee has never been to a doctor except for her immunization shots. She's never sick before, but in the last months, she's been hospitalized and in the ICU twice. The days she was declared missing were the darkest days for him. As a man and a father with considerable wealth and resources- he moved mountains to find her, but could not. It wasn't even him who tracked the kidnappers. What could have happened if they got to her a day late? She would have been lost to them forever, she would be dead.

So, what can a father do to keep his daughter safe? How does a dad protect one of the most important person in his life?