𝐈𝐕

DEMONS WERE once human too.

That's what a lot of people tend to forget. Religious people, especially. They always forgot that demons were human souls but twisted and forged in the pits of Hell. That didn't mean they were good people, but not all demons were the worst.

The worst demons were reserved for the higher place, called Greater Demons. Demons like Azazel, or Abaddon.

Demons like Desiree, succubi, weren't the worst demons in the pits of hell. Not at all. In fact, they were considered the nicest. They were in Hell for a long time, but not as long as the Greater Demons – meaning their souls weren't as twisted but twisted enough.

Desiree couldn't remember the last time she felt human since she died, back thousands of years ago. There was a man she once knew. She knew him only briefly when she was a weak little human girl, and their villages were kept separate by nothing but a river. She had met this man whilst she was picking flowers for her brothers, those of whom she had forgotten the name of.

But this man, she never forgot this man's name.

His name was Nik. That was all she knew about him – besides the fact that he had kind, deep blue eyes, and golden curly hair. He had treated her with such respect, she couldn't believe it the first time. All she remembered about her human life was that her family didn't appreciate that they were 'cursed' with a girl, the rest of her father's children being all boys.

They treated her like scum beneath their shoes, locking her in her home and beating her till she saw stars dancing around her eyes. She remembered the day when she finally snapped. She had seen Nik for the last time, as well, as he said he was going away for a long time – that there had been an accident in their village and he told her he was the cause.

He smiled at her, kissed her goodbye, and left.

That day, she went back to her home feeling defeated and empty. That day was also the day she was introduced to her new husband, the man she was to be given away to at the ripe age of 16 winters. She was too young to be married, but her father wanted her out of his hair as soon as possible.

She had refused, only for her 'husband' to take her forcefully, forcing her onto her knees and claiming what was his.

That night, she slaughtered her entire family. Unable to handle the grief of seeing her brothers, her mother and her father dead on the ground, she had taken her own life as well.

Then, she went to Hell.

It was over 600 years before she was released from the clutches of Lucifer himself, her soul being morphed into something that he was somewhat happy with. She was a succubus, the lowest of the demons, but she was the happiest the way she was. To be a Greater Demon, you'd have to stay in the Pit for over a thousand years. She didn't want that.