Thunder

Thunder

By: Bnemesis
Art courtesy of rinmaru's avatar creators. I cannot draw.

Dedicated to: Caspie/Casper/Ghostqueennotmean
748 words.

-----------------------------------------------------------

    It was dark and windy outside the big house. The driveway was empty, and would be still for a few hours more. Droplets rolled down the window panes in waves, as the sky rumbled its displeasure to the earth below.

    Two of the four occupants of the house remained inside, left behind by their housemates in hopes the shopping trip would take less than the several hours it would have been if the two had gone along. Unfortunately, the storm rolled in before the others got back.

    A particularly loud crack from the sky sounded off, a crash from within the house following shortly after. Footsteps rushed through a shadowed living room towards a large open kitchen where the second sound originated from. A tall figure sat up from the floor, an upturned stool next to her and what was once a bowl of popcorn spread out across the floor. The shorter figure skittered over almost immediately to pull the other up. Both flinched as another loud boom sounded off.

  "Guess we won't have any snacks." The dark haired girl spoke whilst rubbing the back of her neck. The crack of thunder had spooked her as she was taking the bowl out of the microwave oven suspended above the cupboards. The small blonde wrinkled her nose as she pulled at the taller girl, dragging her out of the messy kitchen and shoving her onto the couch. The taller girl could have stood perfectly still and only moved maybe an inch, but she played along for her companion's sake. Wren was just as spooked as she was, she reasoned. Especially with Myra and Suni both out of the house stuck who knows where in this downpour.

    Wren worked fast, sweeping the popcorn kernels up off the floor and tossing them in the trash. She looked back at her friend on the couch, biting at her lower lip, before gathering the stool and reaching into a cabinet on the far right and pulling out a bag of potato chips and a couple miniature bags of Mrs. Fields chocolate chip cookies before returning to the couch in a flurry of blonde tresses and rose pink skirts.

  "Wren this is entirely unnecessary. Seriously." Spoke the black and blue haired girl as treats were deposited next to her and several blankets were thrown towards her head.

  "Nonsense. I declare movie night, Cass. We shall drown out the storm with sounds of battle and Ghibli music." The girl's golden hair swished in the light from the lamp in the back of the room as she shuffled through the shelving around the TV for the discs she wanted, muttering as she placed some back and pressed the power button for the screen to turn on. Grabbing a blanket Cass observed to appear very soft, she pressed a button to start up whatever sequence of films she had concocted to drown out the deluge outside the windows.

    The opening of Scott Pilgrim Versus The World blared to life on the screen as the girl plopped herself down on the couch next to her friend and spread the weighted blanket over both of them. She could feel Cass jolt next to her as another loud thunderclap shook the building, and plopped her head against the taller girl's chest in an attempt to distract and ground her. The dark haired girl blinked in surprise before cautiously bringing a hand to touch the thick golden strands.

    Wren made no move to stop Cass from petting her hair. It will help Cass feel better. It's definitely not because it feels good. Cass could almost hear the thoughts that were surely running through the girl's head. By this point neither girl was paying attention to the movies that flitted by on screen. Wren's soft breathing echoed out into the room, Cass petting her hair in time with their breaths. Soon enough the rhythmic actions got to her too, and the hand stilled on top of silken strands as the owner joined the girl half on her lap in dreamland. 

    Myra and Suni returned as the storm died down close to eleven at night, to a cuddle pile on the couch as the ending of Howl's Moving Castle rolled across the screen and a mess of snack bags on the coffee table next to the couch. And if Suni took a picture, well, that's for her to know and us to never find out.