Chapter 30 - One Last Time

4 days later

Suitcases stood piled next to the bedroom door. In 24-hours she would leave for Georgia and his heart would break.  It wouldn't be long before he followed, but they wouldn't be together.  She'd be with the monster and he'd be in mission control in her Marietta, GA. home.  Everything was so surreal. He couldn't imagine anything worse than handing the love of his life over to Ethan. A mix of shock, rage, and deep concern toyed with his mind. One thought came and then another. Dizzying was the mere word that could describe it best. 

His heaviness couldn't compare to Zara's. She'd felt choked up all day. He'd seen her wiping tears that she didn't want him to see. Few words past between them the entire day. Watching her pack the bags now situated at the door ripped his heart out. He gave her space to sort her thoughts. The clink of dishes floated in the air as she put things away from dinner. He watched from a crack in the door as she put the plates and pots away. When it was all done, Zara wiped her hands on a dishrag and left the kitchen.

She walked into the family room and slumped into the sofa. When she stuffed her face in her hands and moaned it crushed Roman. I wish there was some other way, treasure. But there wasn't.  This was an unavoidable head-on collision with Ethan. Roman was not in despair that he didn't know how to handle this situation.  He was in despair because he didn't know if he could stay out of the situation and let his team handle it. Lack of objectivity could leave Zara dead.  He thought back to a conversation that he had with T-30...

***

"We've never seen love like you have for Zara.  We're going to make this work."

"I'm trying to be the client, but it's difficult."

"Yes, I know, said Max.  But you have a long history with Zara, you know how she thinks and that will help us.  Instead of focusing on what you can't do, focus on what you can do to help us when this rolls out. Now, tell us more about Zara." 

The members of T-30 stayed silent, soaking everything in. Roman hated to give his staff such personal information, but it was necessary. To plan a proper mission they needed to account for the emotional toll involved. Emotions could blow a successful mission to pieces. From what Roman explained he would need to be on the outside looking in. Objectivity would come from the team because he was in too deep emotionally.

"Just imagine this," Roman said, striking the podium until each beat sounded like the rhythm of a heartbeat. Thump-thump, thump-thump.  "Zara is every beat of my heart.  She's been with me all of my life.  I've got a second chance with her and can't exist without her.  Imagine if this mission fails," said Roman, lifting his hands from the podium. Total silence engulfed the room.

Members of his staff shook their heads. Sad tension filled the room as if they wore mourning clothes. The way that he described the relationship left no doubt that they must succeed.  They couldn't allow him to lose Zara.

"My life had a restart because Zara is with me. We fail, my heart stops, plain and simple."

***

The conversation faded from his mind, when he looked out again Zara was in the same spot clasping her head. We can't spend our last hours together like this. He stepped out of the door.  Zara glanced up hearing his footfalls. She smiled but it didn't reach her eyes. Roman sat next to her, tucking her under his shoulders. "What can I do to make things better?"

Make it so that Ethan was never born. "Nothing.  There is nothing you can do. I have to go through this."

"We have to go through this – we.  You are not alone. There are 500 people on this mission not including Trevor's team."