Chapter 41 The Reckoning

Two days before Christmas

"Are you sure that you're ready for this?"

Zara gripped Roman's hand so tight. She felt like a bundle of dizzying nerves, but this had to be done. This was the last bridge to her former self that needed burning. She looked at the tiny house that used to be her home, having a vortex shift on the inside. Zara didn't have a happy memory beyond that front door. Even now she could see the lock on the refrigerator door. She could see herself crumpled in the corner of her bedroom crying. Even now she could hear fighting between her parents. "Yes," she breathed.

With one push the doorbell rung. A few minutes later a woman with salt and pepper hair peered out the window. She opened the door with a scowl on her face. The woman placed her hands on her hips, giving a harsh stare. She actually snorted as if she were looking at something repugnant.

"Zara," she said, with an abrasive tone. Mrs. Peters raked her eyes over Roman. She never did like him because he made Zara happy. She never wanted Zara happy. Mrs. Peters lived a miserable life and she wanted her daughter to be miserable too. "Ain't you married? I can't believe that you're still pining after my daughter."

She stepped back so that they could enter. But refused to leave enough space for them to fully enter the room. It was just enough for her to be able to close the door. Roman felt Zara falter as she stepped into the room. He pulled her against him, holding her up. It broke his heart for her to have to face such tough memories. But he was glad that she wanted to. He held on tight and kissed the top of her hair. "My wife is dead. I married your daughter."

"Figures," Mrs. Peters smirked.

Those words stung Roman as if she'd slapped him. But for Zara's sake, he kept cool. He had to remind himself that this woman had always been bitter, sarcastic, and hurtful. She was the same old snake only aging caused her to shed her skin. She looked nothing like Zara – thank God. He wouldn't want to see a reflection of that woman in his home every day. Roman took in a deep breath and dealt with the inflicted sting.

"Where's dad?"

"I don't know where that low-life dog is. He left me two years ago. Yeah, but you wouldn't know that you never call."

"Why should she?" Roman snapped. He wedged between Zara and her mother. He got in her mother's face and was inches from her nose. He clutched his fist to keep himself from knocking her out. "Why would anyone want to have anything to do with someone as vile and sick as you?"

Zara tugged on Roman's coat and he backed down. He eased away but still stood between them. He reached out placing a hand on Zara's shoulder. The sweet touch that gave her so much comfort while her nerves rattled beneath her skin.

"Well, if you only came here to see your dad, then you can leave."

"I'm here to see you, mother."

Mrs. Peters rolled her eyes at Zara, folding her arms across her chest. It was amazing that because of her mother's attitude it felt like time had never moved forward. The older woman stood there, face crinkled with frown lines reflecting the negativity in her soul. Even her lips seemed to have permanently turned down from frown lines. She drew in an agitated breath. "Say on then, woman."

"It's good to know that you haven't changed. That makes what I have to say easier. I have chosen to forgive you for every ill and damaging word that you spoke over my life."

"Ill and damaging – for telling you the truth, Zara? You're fat, always have been fat and you're worthless as your father. All you've ever done is cry and run." She tossed back her head and laughed. The sound came out raw and caustic. This woman's soul was acid. There was nothing redeeming about her. "You never listened to a word that I said."