Chapter 5

“Okay, Miss Salonga, we’ll just call you if you’ve passed the interview” the person who interviewed her said making her heave a deep breath for the nth time.

Tatawagan ka na lang namin kapag nakapasa ka

We’ll just inform you if you’re qualified for the job

Just wait for our call regarding with your application

And a lot more of those kind of statement. She’s been looking for a job all day long, entered different establishments, submitted her résumé, and faced every interviews yet all she could receive is an answer that implicitly states you’re not hired.

One of the problem perhaps is her history, and she’s not naive not to know that. She’s smart and she’s answered all the questions precisely and intelligently but when they asked why she hasn’t had a work experience yet and she answers it honestly, that’s when everything turns down for her.

“Okay, thank you” she said and left the office where she was interviewed.

Napapakamot na lang siya sa ulo niya habang naglalakad sa labas. Gusto na niyang maiyak sa pagod. She never knew this would be hard and painful. Being rejected for quite a lot of times is so damn painful.

Lea stopped walking when her phone rang and Vice’s name was displayed on the screen, “Hello?”

“Hello, Lea, kumusta job hunting mo?”

“Ayun, gan’on pa rin. Nganga”

“Umuwi ka na”

“Mamaya na. Susubukan ko pa ring maghanap.”

“Gaga, umuwi ka na. Regine’s here and I’ve mentioned to her that you’re looking for a job. Gusto ka raw niyang makausap.”

“Okay” she lackadaisically answered and ended the call.

Nagpatuloy siya sa paglalakad papunta sa sakayan para makauwi na nang may madaanan siyang isang coffee shop na naghahanap ng server. She didn’t think twice and entered the shop where she was greeted by the person in the counter.

“Good afternoon, Ma’am, how may I help you?”

“Hi... Uhm, you’re hiring, aren’t you? Nakita ko kasi ‘yung sign sa labas. Mag-aapply sana ako”

“Aahh, tungkol po roon. Sige po, maupo muna po kayo. Tatawagin ko lang si Sir”

She thanked the server named Kevin which was written on his nameplate. She chose to sit on the table near the window and opened her phone while waiting. Its lock screen is Aya— who she’s planning to visit again. Halos tatlong araw na kasi ang nakalipas simula noong una silang nagkakilala at nagkausap. She misses her daughter and she wanted to spend every possible time she has with her daughter.

“Excuse me?” someone said from her side so she turned to look who it was. “Ikaw ba ‘yung mag-aapply raw?”

She immediately stood up when she realized that this must be the Sir the staff was referring to earlier, “Hi, yes, I am”

Binigyan lamang siya nito ng payak ng ngiti bago siya pinaupo ulit. Lihim naman na napakagat ng labi si Lea dahil hindi naman maitatanggi ang kaguwapuhan at kakisigan ng lalaki.

“Miss?” pagtawag sa kaniya nito dahil nawala siya sa ulirat. Letche! Ang landi kasi Lea!

“Ay, sorry po. Ano po ‘yun?”

“Application form mo kako,” saad nito kaya agad agad naman niyang kinuha ang résumé sa envelope na dala niya. Nakayuko lang siya habang sinusuri ng lalaki ang form niya. “So, Lea, I am Ian and I own this shop so it all depends to me if I’m going to hire or not.”