Chapter 15

/AGA/

“Thank you, Dr. Quizon. We’ll see you next week.” I thanked the doctor that treated Aya once again as we shake hands.

“No problem. Just be extra careful with her arms while we are still waiting for it to heal and regularly clean her wound,” he reminded me. “Uhm... I have to go ahead, I still need to check on my other patients.”

I gave him a smile before he left us. I look at Aya who’s now sitting on the emergency room’s bed, “Aya, let’s go. Babayaran ko pa ‘yung expenses mo.”

“Nasaan si Mommy?” she asked.

I don’t know is supposed to be the answer because I literally don’t know where Lea is. Umalis yata pagkatapos naming magkasagutan kanina. Umalis nang hindi man lang nagpapaalam sa anak niya. That woman really likes to evade without thinking of the people she would leave behind.

“Something came up that needs her attention so she had to leave.” I lied. Hindi naman puwedeng sabihin ko kung ano talagang nangyari kanina.

“She left without telling me goodbye? Why?”

“Hayaan mo ‘yun. Mahilig talaga ‘yun mang-iwan,” I murmured but I made sure Aya didn’t hear it. “She doesn’t want to disturb the nurses who were giving you treatments earlier, but she said she’ll come and check on you once she’s done with her errands.” I told her rather. I hear her sigh in disappointment and opted not to speak anymore. I’ll admit I feel a little guilty there. Hindi naman aalis si Lea kung hindi ko inaway.

Pagkatapos ko bayaran ‘yung bills namin, dumeretso na kami sa sasakyan para umuwi na.

“Are you hungry? We’ll drive thru if you want.”

She shook her head, “It was my fault, Daddy. I forced Mommy to teach me how to ride that bicycle. I hope you’re not mad at her.”

“Shanaiah,” I said and sighed. “Why did you do so?”

“I just wanted to learn it. ‘Di ba nga po, kaya po ako nagpabili sa’yo ng bike dahil gusto ko matuto? You’re just always busy so we both forgot that that bike exists,” she said. “Mommy had the time to teach me, so I asked her. I didn’t see anything wrong with that, Dad. She’s my Mom so I know she’ll keep me safe and guarded while I learn.”

“If she did, why did you end up in a hospital with a broken bone?”

“Ako naman po ‘yung nagda-drive ‘di ba? Hindi siya. It is not as if she pushed me causing me to crash. Kapag po ba bumagsak ako sa exam dahil hindi ako nag-aral, sisisihin mo ba si teacher kahit na tinuro niya naman lahat? No, because it was my fault that I didn’t study,” she reasoned out. I think I have to double check her birth certificate. Kahit ako, nagdududa na kung ilang taon na ba talaga ‘tong batang ‘to. “Please, huwag mo na po awayin si Mommy. Hindi niya rin naman po ginusto na mangyari ‘to, eh.”

I sigh, feeling defeated by my own daughter’s wisdom, “I just want you to be in good hands, Aya. You know how much I want you to be safe. I’m just protecting you, anak.”

“Yeah, but not to an extent of hurting someone’s feelings, especially Mom’s.”

That was a strike on me. If Aya’s playing guilt trip, she sure is playing it very well. But, can she blame me for being this protective of her especially when it comes to Lea? No. If she just knew what she went through as a baby, she would understand me.

“Just be careful with that arm. Namamaga pa ‘yan ngayon kaya puwedeng lumala ‘yan kapag nagalaw nang hindi maayos.” I reminded her.

“How about when I’m asleep, Dad? Paano kapag nadaganan ko siya?”