Chapter 22

/LEA/

The happenings lately were too much that I thought a year had already passed but it’s just been actually a week. Brian and the whole dinner fiasco at the Veneracion’s were just too much to bear. And I must admit that since then, Brian keeps me awake at night lately— in a bad way. I cannot stress enough how much I tried to forget about my horrible past and my horrible self, but life fucks up with you sometimes and brings people you don’t want to see anymore back to your life. Brian reminded me so much of how I turned from this good person to that kind of person who would kill a baby. He reminded me so much of the decisions and choices that I could and could have not made to prevent all of these to happen. He reminded me so much of the rights and wrongs of life and how stupid I am to pick the wrong ones.

Eight years had passed and he is still trying to ruin my life. I hate how a mere sight of him can ruin years of transforming back my self. But I won’t let him completely ruin what I rebuilt for the past years. I should have not let him affect me this much.

“10 more minutes” Sarah alarmed me about the leche flan we didn’t even plan on doing. We were just bored earlier and we have the ingredients so here we are, having no idea if we are doing this thing right.

Screw all of my life problems, I am making deserts. Ha!

I look at my phone when it suddenly beeped, displaying a text message on the lock screen, “Oh” I said upon fully reading the text message that Ian sent to me. Yeah, it’s the boyfriend.

If that night has something nice for me to remember, it is that Ian and I are now officially together. Like actual boyfriend and girlfriend.

“Ano ‘yun, Ate?” Sarah asks me.

“It’s Ian. He said he’s coming over today.”

“Eh? Mukhang kailangan ko nang umalis kasi magmumukha na naman akong third wheel sa inyo!” she said and frowned at me.

“Sira! You can stay on your room upstairs,” pang-aasar ko sa kanya. “But that thing seriously needs to cook a little faster. I want him to taste it. I just hope he’s a fan of sweets and calories.”

“Feeling ko naman favorite niya ang matatamis, Ate”

“Really? How did you know?”

“Kasi sa matamis na ngiti mo pa lang, spoil na spoil na si Kuya Ian,” she said and was followed by her teasing yieeeh. I roll my eyeballs at that but it doesn’t mean it didn’t bring butterflies to my stomach. I’m just preventing myself to smile to avoid my sister’s playfulness. “I’m really happy for the both of you, Ate. I can see how you bloom after you and Kuya Ian became official. Iba talaga ang in love ‘noh? Araw araw fresh!”

“Oo, kaya ang haggard mo na eh.” I tease her back.

“Naku, Ate, gusto mo na bang magka-boyfriend na rin ako? Baka hindi mo magustuhan kapag nagdala na ako ng lalaki rito.”

“Subukan mo, kay Papa ka naman malalagot.” pananakot ko sa kanya. Naputol saglit ang usapan namin nang biglang tumunog ang doorbell. We stay here in the kitchen and just let our helper welcome whoever it is. “Are you expecting someone?” I ask Sarah.

She shakes her head, “Baka ikaw. ‘Di ba sabi mo pupunta si Kuya rito?”

“Yeah, but he just texted me two minutes ago. How can he be here that fast?”

“Ma’am Lea, may bisita po kayo.” Fatty told me.

“See? I told you, it might be your boyfriend.”

To confirm things, I went out of the kitchen and see who came. Sarah was right, it is indeed the boyfriend. I shook my head before heading to him to give him a hug.