CHAPTER 18: Settling In

When the plane landed, the team unloaded the gear and equipment into the back of a canvas top truck. They rode to a small scrappy looking base in the middle of a German village.

They exited the vehicle and made their way into a large tent that had "CMND PST" written on a small piece of wood standing outside. 

"Captain Hanson." A man with a dark black mustache and almost completely shaved head approached him and held out his hand. "We've been expecting you."

"Major Gordon Hampton. Glad we could be of some help." Tom shoot his hand. "Ready to kick some German ass sir?"

Hampton laughed. "Yes sir. Gonna show them how a black man kicks some ass."

Tom laughed as well as he introduced his team. "Ella Jackson, Alex Van, Mark Johnson, Harry Benson, the twins; Sanchez and Lewis Ramos, and the newest member of the team. Shawn Thompson, cyber warfare specialist."

They all saluted the Major. "Thank you all for being here. I'll give you a minute to settle in and get yourself situated with your new surroundings. Hanson, report back in an hour." Howard instructed.

"Yes sir." Tom saluted and walked with his team to another large tent with a sign that read "Guest quarters."

Inside the flaps were several rows of cots and footlockers that were propped open at the foot of each bed.

"Alright everyone, get comfy. I'm gonna go see what all is around here. Shawn, dump your gear and follow me."

Shawn placed his gear into the foot locker at the end of the bed he selected and ran out to follow Tom.

The two of them walked through the small town and past the rubble of several buildings, learning the lay out of their new temporary home.

"Sir, the Major wanted us to report in soon." Shawn pointed out.

"Thank you Corporal, go ahead and unpack your gear, I'll meat up with all of you in a bit." Tom replied.

They split up and Tom walked back into the command tent.

"Reporting in sir." Tom announced

"Hanson, how soon can your team be ready?" Howard asked.

"Within the hour. 20 minutes at the most. Why sir?"

"We lost contact with a group of Marines, they were due back several days ago. We think they are pinned down in Bedzin."

"What are they doing in Poland sir? Isn't the fight here in Berlin?"

"Their group was supposed to free prisoners and possibly locate the location of Hans Tokada. The asshole that started all this shit."

Tom tighten his fist at the name. "We will bring them back sir. You guys just worry about breaking through to Berlin."

"You guys will enter their area in about an hour while we draw their attention to Berlin. As far as they know, we still think Takoda is in the capital."

"I'll round up my team sir. We'll get the bastard."