Ten,

Melissa

Drake and I had hung out three out of the next seven days. The last of them was spent at my house when no one was home. We sat in front of the small television as some old sitcom displayed across the screen. His thumbs were scrolling up and down his phone as my legs were splayed across his lap.

It was so easy to sit and admire a boy like him. He had buzzed hair that was light blonde from being bleach, contrasting his dark skin. I remember the day in the hallway I saw him come to school with a hat on, which is against the rules. He pulled it off after being yelled at and all of his friends pointed and laughed, some other peer giving him the fifty bucks they owed him. I could tell he was embarrassed about the way that it looked, yet he rocked it with the confidence that he always has.

When I used to look at him, I saw someone that would never go for me. At the time, I was content with that because I knew about his streak and never wanted to let someone have that much control over my feelings. The more I talk to him, the more my feelings grow. I find myself handing him that control on purpose because I couldn't think of anyone that would deserve it more than him.

His eyes were as dark as the tone he would sometimes use with me when he was in a bad mood. I would always take that as an opportunity to cheer him up and be there for him in the ways that he had been there for me. Sometimes this would happen over the phone late at night, which is when most of our conversations take place. It would be past midnight, but I was fine with not getting enough sleep if that meant talking to him. We would chat about either my day or random things he could think of that didn't have to do with him. I'd tell him that I wished we could have these talks in person, so I can stare into those eyes I can't help but get lost in. They captivate me in a way that makes me want to be with no one else, and I really, really like it.

The hands that grip the cellular device have been around my waist and gripping my hands recently. He had become a lot more comfortable with touching me in a romantic way that always made my heart skip a beat. His hand would sometimes creep down to grab the ankle on his thighs as if he just wanted to make sure I was there. I wish there was a way for me to tell him that I was here, and I would make sure I always was.