Eight,

Drake: the "date"

Mason asked to make plans with me Saturday night. I was all ready to go out to the gym with him when Melissa texted me asking what she should wear tonight. Truthfully, I completely forgot we were hanging out today. I had to quickly text Mason that I couldn't make it and actually figure out what I should plan for Melissa and I. I apparently promised a dinner a movie, which is fine by me because of how easy it is.

I put on a pair of clothes that were nice, but not too nice. My car pulled out of the driveway and drove over to the address Melissa texted me. When I got to the curb, I honked the horn twice to signify that I was there.

She walks out in a tight fitting crop top and high-waisted, ripped jeans. She had a lot of makeup on, which she doesn't normally wear to school. I smirk at the obvious ways she's trying just for me. When she turns around to lock the front door, I look at her up and down, and I'm definitely not disappointed. 

"Hey," I say when she opens her own door and gets inside. Melissa greets me back and asks where we going. I tell her what I told Mason when he asked what my plans were, "Just a movie and then dinner, nothing too big of a deal." She nods and grabs her phone to go on for the rest of the car ride.

The movie was an action-comedy, which is definitely my favorite genre. A couple minutes in, I wrapped my arm around Melissa's shoulders. She leaned into me and leaned her head on my shoulder. Even though it was dark, the blush on her cheeks was obvious. A smirk crept onto my face at the inevitable affection she felt towards me.

The drive to the dinner was quiet between Melissa and I. The noise in the car was only fueled by the fast mumbles of rap flowing from the radio. 

When I saw Melissa slowly lean toward the opposite side of the car, I sighed and put my hand on her thigh. She immediately looked at it and blushed. She slowly leaned back and breathed heavily while facing her window, trying to shield the way her heart was erratically pounding.

We ate at a small Chinese restaurant about 5 minutes away from her house. I assumed that if it was close to her, she might come here often. By the way Melissa was picking at her white rice and egg roll the entire time, I can tell I guessed wrong, but it's fine because I like Chinese. 

Melissa opened up to me during those 45 minutes as easily as my cheap fortune cookie did. She went on and on about her family, which includes two younger brothers and a single mother. Her mother was apparently a sore topic for her that she couldn't stop rambling on about. No matter the severe emotions on her face when that wound was opened, it didn't stop a sheet of boredom to sweep across my mind. Nevertheless, I consistently added in "mhm"s and nods when they felt necessary. My hope for her to think of me as caring and empathetic had happened and that made me happy.

"Thanks for taking me," Melissa says as she smiles and gets out onto the curbside.

"Of course, babe." I wink and watch her smile as she closes the door. As soon as it's shut, I speed off into the night to forget about those few hours before right now.