ETHAN

Melissa

My phone has been blowing up like crazy for the last hour. Ethan has yet to get the clue that I don't want to see him anymore. Last time I actually tried for a relationship, it backfired on me completely. Ethan was the first guy I saw that I was remotely attracted to, so I pursued him. He bought me a bracelet after hanging out with me for a week and got me chocolates on our first date. I would've found it romantic, but my was numbed out by a guy I hated to think about no matter how often his face runs through my head.

I put my phone on mute, not wanting to deal with constant texts fueled by sexual desire. That's all Ethan probably wanted from me. He was bribing 'desperate Melissa' with gifts to get me into bed, and I was sad to say that it has worked. Yet, after it was all said and done, I came to the realization that falling into his bed was all I wanted from the relationship. He called me after I had left, begging for me to go out to breakfast with him- his treat- and I left him on read. I'm not falling for those kinds of tricks anymore.

No matter how much I told myself to ignore answering the cute face that continues to pop up on my screen, my heart can't help but want to pick it up. I'm a romantic at heart and I know that deep down, I still just want to be loved. I want to be a part of something greater than me, but with someone else. Maybe Ethan will be that someone, my mind wants to believe, but there's so much risk of him not being them.

So, I continue to freeze him out, all the while going through it between my head and my heart. I even succumb to the idea of making a pros and cons list, but the cons continue to grow. They grow and grow until they are one big pile of heartbreak, suffocating me with the weight of all the tears I will inevitably shed. High school is one big pitfall that I stumbled into last year.

I can tell Ethan wants to be different, but it is in a guy's DNA to screw a girl over. He continues to call, the vibrations pulling me out of my own head.

"What do you want, Ethan?"

He says he wants to take me out, he wants to treat me like the amazing person I am, but I'm not that person. I haven't been that person in a while and I prefer it that way.

"Don't call me again."

He doesn't.