The Calamity before Storm

"Fuck!"
Calam's eyes were filled with fire. Her opponent WILL perish, like the ones before him. Calam will be victorious.
"YOUUUUUU!"

With a powerful slam, Calam punched her volleyball into the ground. The sand flied everywhere and the leader of opposing team sighed and started grooming his long curly hair.

"We were behind, Cal. You still would have won."
"Ah! You were behind ONE point, and I don't know about you, but I don't settle for mediocrity."

Nero sighed, flipped his hair and took the ball, only to gently throw it back to Calam.
"Score is twenty-three, twenty-five for team Cal 'n Pals, I guess."

The said Cal 'n Pals did a loud cheer and jumped to their positions. Nero's team, WhyWouldPrisonWolleyballteamNeedAName, was not as enthusiastic to go against the screaming horde again.

"Reaaaady?" Cal flapped her wings, her team joining in by hollering and clapping whatever they could as well.

Before Nero could say "It's impossible when competing against you," Cal threw the ball high in the air, yelling "When you go against our team,"
"Be ready for calamity!" her team answered with perfect unity, and the game had begun anew.

The final score was fifty for Cal 'n Pals, thirty four for WhyWouldPrisonWolleyballteamNeedAName.

The guards came and took away the ball as all people were ushered back inside for the evening.

---

"So THEN I created a vortex into the water, just to see how big I could get it, and the guards FLIPPED OUT! They were threatening me with a gun and all!"
An inappropriate laugh.
"And apparently they thought that I was trying to use my powers to erode the bottom of the pool to escape BECAUSE, and this is the kicker, apparently the bottom of the pool is paper-thin and, AND! Mari told me, that someone HAD escaped through the pool! Do you recon it's true?"

"Maybe, Janet," Nero shrugged, carefully washing his hair over the sink. It was very sensitive. "But hey, maybe a story told by Mari will turn out to NOT be fake for once."

Janet was levitating a bar of soap in front of her face, expression thoughtful. "Maybe.."

And that was the thing: Janet could not understand sarcasm. In Nero's opinion, it was what made their relationship work. In Janet's opinion, people should just say what they mean.

Janet hopped down from her bunk bed, throwing the soap up and down without touching it.
"Well, anyway, I'm planning on trying to crack the pool's wall. If, and this in an IF but if, the pool's walls and floor are made out of the same material I could test Mari's story's credibility!"

Shrugging, the smaller man plucked the soap in the air with his hair, that could move on it's own.
"It would probably work."

"Yeah it would!" Janet said, looking for new things to levitate. "It's still so weird that we have a pool though."

"Yes," Nero rolled his eyes, "because the first thing a prison by the sea and with a beach needs is a swimming pool, yes of course."

"No it doesn't! We-"
Janet stopped, squinted, and started mumbling under her breath:
"Eyeroll, totally untrue statement, flat voice.." Then, out loud, she said
"Are you being sarcastic again?"

Nero, now carefully reninsing his hair all without using hands, smiled and patted Janet on her shoulder: "All day, every day, buddy. Now let's get that dinner."

Together they exited their cell.