The Queen and King of being Old

Janet and Nero strode into the dining hall like they owned the world. After all, they were the king and queen.

No, not the queen of awesome, that was Calam. And not the king of the biggest gang, that was Canter. And no, not even the ruler of ramen, as that was Ramen.
No, Janet and Nero were the king and queen of being old.

"Hey, Nero!" one of Canter's sycophants shouted, the one fresh from outside, "you gonna give me money for my ramen or what?"

Nero only shrugged and answered: "Only if you give me money to get your haircut. Because I would have to be paid to get it."
The sycophant gasped, like he was in a soap opera, and pulled his claw behind him to probably punch Nero.

"Wow, calm down," Nero said with all the chill in the world. He started slowly leaning backwards and left- towards Janet, who was levitation a pen in from of her eyes like it held the Meaning of Life.
"We wouldn't want anyone to get hurt."

The lion-clawed one's eyes flicked to Janet, and in seconds he was power walking away from Nero. Nero snorted and walked with Janet to their table, filed with Nero's volleyball team and other old-timers. 

Janet levitated everything red out of her food and dropped them in Nero's. In return, Nero gave Janet some of his non-red-food.

"Any other plans for volleyball matches?" Aster asked, chewing.
"Hopefully not with Calam again!"
Everyone hummed.
"I don't think I could survive another match with them."

Janet looked up in confusion, then closed her mouth and resumed eating.

"Why do they have a CHANT anyway? I'm surprised they haven't managed to get any cheerleaders yet!"
"Oh, they probably will at some point."

Janet pulled out her notepad and turned some pages, then injected: "According to Samil, Camal's second-in-command, they are their OWN cheerleaders."
Everyone mumbled "yeah, makes sense," and the conversation went on.

When she was finished with her food, Janet stood up and started walking from table to table and filling her levitating notebook. 
In Nero's opinion, Janet had a gossip problem. In Janet's opinion, it was the best detective work she was gonna get.

When she returned, she reported to everyone, talking kilometer a minute: "So! I questioned a bunch of people and apparently someone HAD escaped through the pool, BUT not through the floor, but by PROPELLING themself out using water!"
Janet did a break to breathe.
"But here's the juiciest bit! So, SO, whoever they were, they came BACK here for some unknown reasons! Now, this. Is. Just. BEGGING! For further investigation."

Nero raised both of his eyebrows.
"Did Mari tell you that bit?"

Janet broke out of her excited trance and hunched over her notebook, frantically turning pages. 
"Yes, Mari did. How did ya know?"

"Mari always tells you the most obviously untrue shit."

"Well," Janet said, turning to another page again, "Mari actually had rather high percent of at least partially true stories of 67 percent partially true and 7 percent of fully true."
"That's just because you counted her story of "someone was destroying shit in the bathroom" as partially true when Salen had accidentally cracked the stall door with his little finger."

"It was one time" Salen shouted and everybody laughed.

Nero just shook his head.
"You get my point."

"I do," Janet shrugged, sat down and went on to flip the pages in her notebook, seemingly on random. 
When she seemed to find what she was looking for, her eyes lit up again.

"Here! Day 739, or Saturday two weeks ago: I heard from the conversation between Samil and Fem.." 
"Wait, you eavesdrop on others' conversations now?"
"..that Fem had been hearing strange noises from the  unrenovated corridor in the north wing. In of itself, it doesn't mean anything, BUT! If you copy it with seven other accounts I have of people hearing and seeing weird stuff in the northern wing.."

Janet began levitating the pen before her eyes again.
"..it just makes SENSE!"

"Ah-ah."
Nero seemed unimpressed.
"This seems totally reasonable. Not at all like the time you were convinced that our old cellmate had a crack ring." Poor guy, he was. Janet had attempted reverse-psychology as a way to find out the truth. Poor man was traumatised.

"Oh, you think so? So you would be fine with coming with me tonight after the curfew to check out the northern wing?"
Janet was practically jumping up and down.

Before Nero could answer, Janet kept talking:
"Of course, you said that with an "ah-ah" and a voice that had a total difference of only 3 tones, but I'm not gonna tell you that you were sarcastic. More than once.
Instead, I'm gonna tell you that you're coming with me again!"

Dammit. Nero sighed and pulled on his meal: a mystery substance with chunky bits. 
Because Janet thought he still needed convincing, she added: "I can then tell you about Ramen's newest secret then!"

But Nero was obsessed with Ramen! He could not refuse.
"Deal."