4

It was a quiet day in Ellesméra until the elven boy fell from the sky. Arya, Queen of the Elves, watched as the elf crashed with an impact that should have killed him. Then a huge, dark dragon landed a few feet away and slowly approached the elf, who crawled back until he was pressed against a large tree.

Firnen intercepted the dragon, throwing his wings wide in an attempt to block the dragon. OUT OF MY WAY, HATCHLING! the dark dragon roared for everyone to hear. You will not stop my hunt!

"You would hunt an elf?" Arya asked in her most diplomatic voice. "Elves and dragons do not wage war any longer."

That is not an elf! It is a cruel monster and I will see it torn apart!

Then the dragon looked at Arya and the assembled elves behind her. And I will burn through any who stand in my way, he threatened.

Leaping onto Firnen and forcing him to the ground, the dragon lunged at the elf. His jaws snapping shut a few centimetres away from the elf's nose. The dragon was struggling over Firnen's writhing body to chase down the elf just as a voice called out:

"Beo! Off the dragon!... But keep it there."

The dark dragon clamped his jaws around the elf's leg and placed him in one of the highest branches of the tree. Then he moved away and allowed Firnen to rise to his full height. The two dragons regarded each other, but neither made a move.

Meanwhile, Arya and the other elves looked towards the source of the command. A tall figure approached, clad in armour that resembled the dark dragon. The figure loosely held a spear in one of his hands.

"And who are you?" Arya asked after three soldiers surrounded the stranger.