Chapter 10- Phone Calls

Nikki's POV- 

I hear a noise that's really irritating, but I can't quite come out of my sleep to figure it out. It won't stop, and now I’ve got someone shaking me too. "Nikki!! Wake up!! The damn phone is ringing. Come on, wake up, or they're just going to keep calling." It's Tommy shaking me awake. 

My eyes open. It actually hurts to open them. He grabs my dazed face, and says, "Answer the fucking phone Sixx." I let out a pathetic moan, as I reach for the receiver. I fumble it, twice, before I can get it to my ear, while holding my head with my other hand. I still hear the ringing, and I feel shaky and nauseous. "Yeah", I say into the receiver in a raspy voice. "Nikki, it's Doc. Nice of you answer on the 30th ring. Is Tommy in your room?" I tell him yeah, for a minute thinking that we've been found out. Then Doc tells me to tell him that Heather has been trying to reach him, and she's worried because he didn't call last night, nor answer her calls this morning. What the fuck, really?? I rip the cord out of the phone, and throw the damn thing across the room. 

Fucking asshole calls me at 9:30 in the morning for this petty fool bullshit! Doesn't he know I'm hungover and dope sick. Doesn't he know I didn't get sleep. Doesn't he know that I just want to lie here and wish sudden death upon myself, so I don't have to deal with Tommy being in my room. Get the fuck out already, Tommy. In my head, I'm ready to start screaming at him to leave, but no words are coming out. A wave of nausea washes over me, and before I can utter a word, I find myself jumping up out of bed to run to the bathroom to vomit up my entire night of "fun". 

Tommy comes in behind me, and asks if I'm okay. I have just enough strength to turn around and face him with my droopy, glassy eyes, to say, "Yeah, don’t I look just fucking peachy, asshole? Right? Because I normally spend every damn morning hungover, sitting on the tile floor naked, while hugging the shitter, after being woken up at this early-ass hour by our douchebag manager, so that I can give you a fucking message from your wife." Tommy suddenly looks concerned, asking what's wrong with Heather.  Ha, I fake laugh, and lean myself back against the bathtub, half smirking because I’m feeling delusional right now. I tell him, “Nothing’s wrong, idiot. That’s the problem. I got jolted awake for fucking nothing. Your silly little bimbo broad is worried because you didn't make your sappy late night call to her. And since you decided to stay in my room last night, instead of going back to your own damn room, you missed her fucking morning calls. So, I have to be woken up by an asshole to pass the message to you. She’s probably worried that you’re fucking someone else.  And because of that, I'm now laying on this cold floor feeling like shit instead of still being asleep in my warm bed.” 

I don’t feel good at all. I don’t even know what I just spouted off to him. I shut my eyes, willing to just pass out here. I can't deal with what happened last night, and I can't handle Tommy being here. I feel tears welling up. I’m not going to let them surface. I’ve mastered the art of stifling tears. 

"C'mon, Nik. I got you." He lifts me up from the floor. I take hold of him because I feel sick and woozy, and I don't have the strength to help myself. "Back into bed," he says, as walks me to it and sets my still naked body on the edge of the bed. I pull my feet up onto the bed and lay back down. Tommy pulls the covers over me, and runs his hand through the hair covering my forehead, to brush it to the side. 

He said he was sorry for overstaying his welcome, and told me that he was going to leave last night, after his smokes. But when he saw me stumbling around and downing copious amounts of pills and whiskey, he became concerned and wanted to make sure I was okay. He told me that I make him worry. I accepted that answer, even though he doesn't have to fucking worry about me. 

He told me to just go back to sleep. We don't have to leave for the concert venue until 4, plus we had a 2 hour limo ride where I can sleep some more if needed. It sounded good to me. I was overly tired and hungover, and wasn't in the mood to argue anymore or dream up obnoxious comments. I was out again within a minute or 2, and this time just from sheer mental and physical exhaustion.

Tommy's POV-

I was glad when that phone call came through this morning. Nikki being awoken by it meant that he was okay. I was awoken first though, and a wave of fear coursed through me. Nikki!, I screamed in my head. I turned toward him panicked, hoping he hadn't given up the ghost. I was supposed to check on him or watch him or whatever, but I wound up crashing too. 

I was relieved when I saw him stirring as the phone rang. I had to shake him fully awake, but I knew by then was he alive. I feel foolish when I overreact to Nikki's pill popping and human pin cushion antics. Nothing ever happens. But I know I'll always carry that fear that one day something will. Some days we all joke around about who's going to be the first to 'buy the farm'. Even though we all play in the fire, and have all had close calls, all eyes usually land on Nikki. He laughs. I know he thinks it's funny. Maybe at that time when we're all having fun, just bullshitting with each other. But, not when you see him in action testing the limits. He’s an obituary waiting to happen.

When I saw how pathetic Nikki looked on the bathroom floor this morning, I felt sorry for him. If I just left him alone, I'm quite sure he would spend the next several hours lying on the chilly bathroom floor, either passed out or too weak and uncaring to get himself up. That wouldn't have been good for tonight's show. That kind of shit, makes your whole body ache for hours. He needed to get back to bed. 

Overlooking the fact that he just insulted both me and my wife, I helped him up. He latched onto me tightly and accepted my help. Nikki was done with his power trip. Once he was settled back in bed, I felt an urge to extend a gentle touch. I softly ran my fingers through his sweaty locks, as I watched the scrunched up look of pain on his face fade away as he drifted back to sleep. I was about to place a kiss on his pretty lips, when suddenly remember that the contents of his guts just passed through them less than 10 minutes ago. I left a kiss on his forehead instead. Before leaving, I decided to see if the phone that he threw from his hissy fit still had any life left in it, thinking that he'll need a wake up call later. I gathered it up off the floor, plugged the cord back in, hoping that wasn't destroyed too. It worked. Good.

As I opened the door to leave Nikki’s room, I cautiously looked up and down the hallway to make sure no one was around to see me. Then I realized how dumb that is. Sixx and I share a room overnight for partying often enough, so it’s normal for one of us to step out of the other’s room in the morning without anyone thinking anything freaky about us. But, now that something freaky actually did happen, I feel like eyes are on me; like somehow they know. I know it’s just paranoia. No one knows. But, then I grow concern over whose room Nikki’s bed shares a wall with. Did they hear us? I’m relieved when I realize that it’s my room next door.

 As I open the door to my room, and walk in towards the phone, I think to myself...I’m good. It’s all good. No one suspects anything. Until my hand lands on the phone receiver to call Heather and it’s shaking. Another pang sears through me; this time a pang of guilt. Fuck…. I realize that I’m still on edge, and not as resolved as I thought I was. If I call Heather right now, she’s probably going to detect an uneasy tone in my voice, and begin to suspect that something happened last night, especially since I didn’t call her, like I usually do. I decide that I’ll take a shower first to calm my nerves down. That’s my plan. Shower, phone call, back to bed. Simple.