Chapter Three

The day of the first race was clear and beautiful. Everyone woke up early to prepare and finish strategy talks with our advisors. My advisor, Starry the hedgehog, woke me up at four in the morning to begin preparations. First, he started me off with my athletic ritual and stretches to wake up my body, then he prepared a very specific breakfast to make sure I was at my absolute best. When I had finished eating, he finally sat down across from me.
"Amy, I want you to remember everything I've taught you," he began with his usual pre-race speech. "You are only the best if you believe that you are capable of being the best. Don't let the other racers, specifically Sonic, scare you and wear you down. You are the best you. Never forget that," he was winding down.
"I will remember," I promised.
"Good; race well and race to win. I believe in you Amy Rose," he clamped a hand on my shoulder and squeezed. I smiled and nodded. "Now, go change into your suit," he stood and left the room. I sat there a moment, really letting his words sink in.
After contemplating, I stood and headed for my bedroom to change into my racing suit. Our racing suits are specifically designed to be everything we need in the heat of racing. They "whisk away moisture, cool you down, and are supremely comfortable, satisfaction guaranteed." The fact of them is though, that they are as essential to our racing as our cars are. Many racers may have been killed if not for the suits.
Mine was pink, as was everything else that I have, with white and gold accents. I pulled on the skin-tight suit and zipped it up, making sure I had freedom of movement in it. I slipped on my special race boots, which were also pink, and grabbed my helmet. I started towards the door, stopping in front if the full length mirror as I did so. I stared at myself a moment, wondering about many things: the race, my life, Shadow.
Finally I turned away and left for the lobby, it was best not to think of such things now.