Chapter Fourteen

The day for the second race came up quickly. All of a sudden, racing became the only thing everyone talked about: who would win, who would have the best chance, and if the event from the last race would repeat itself.
I mostly ignored the talk and focused on adjusting to my new racer. The car was the best thing I had ever driven, all speed and agility, like a young colt. Trixie and Tails had really outdone themselves with my car.
We visited the track a few days before the race to prepare. The track was less difficult than the one in Monaco had been, which was both good and bad. Good because it would be easier to race, bad because it would be easier to race for everyone else too.
When the day of the race finally arrived, I woke up to Starry staring me down. He stood at the foot of my bed and as soon as I noticed him, I jumped about a mile.

"Wake up Cupcake, you've got a big day ahead of you," he crossed his arms. I glared at him.

"I know that, but there's no reason for you to watch me sleep!" I snapped.

"Ooh, getting wrecked made you salty, good. Use all that newfound negativity and kick some tail today," Starry turned and moved to leave. "Hurry up and get into your suit. There's preparations to be made," he said gruffly and left. I threw a pillow at the door and glared. He never gave me a moment's peace.
I quickly changed out of my pajamas and into my racing suit anyway. It was new, my old one probably not in good condition after the last race. I grabbed my helmet and headed downstairs. I heard voices in the dining room, but Starry was waiting at the foot if the stairs.

"You're with me Princess. We'll eat on the way," Starry pushed me towards the limo waiting outside. I glared at him again, but climbed inside. When we were moving, he handed me a yogurt with granola and told me to eat up.

"What? No athletic ritual this time?" I asked, rolling my eyes.

"Very funny, but no. With this track, what matters is strategy. And I want to beat the mad rush out of this stupid, cramped townhouse," he sat back and watched Paris pass by. I sat silently, eating my breakfast and wondering who had shoved a spike up his tail this particular morning.
When we reached the track, people were already lined up to try and get to their seats. When they saw the limo, they pointed and jumped up and down, waving. I smiled and waved back, even though I knew they couldn't see me through the tinted glass.

"Stop it Amy," Starry grumbled. I looked at him.

"I was just waving at them," I replied.

"They can't see you. They don't know which All-Star you are."

"It's called being friendly Starry," I turned back to my window, fuming. We rolled into the pit area, where our cars were waiting in the adjacent garages. We, of course, were the first ones there and the place was empty, except for the hired engineers and mechanics who were shining cars and changing oil. The limo rolled to a stop and I got out before Starry could say anything to me. I headed for my area, indicated by all the pink and a picture of my face. The mechanic who was shining my car didn't see me until I was right next to the car. He jumped.

"Miss. Rose?" he stuttered out. I smiled.

"Hello," I squinted at his name badge. "Henry."

"Amy Rose!" Starry marched right up behind me. I rolled my eyes and turned to face Starry. "The whole "rebel act" was cute the first five minutes. Now? Not so much," his voice was raised. He grabbed my arm and dragged me into the main building, which was adjacent to the garages.

"What is your problem, Starry?" I jerked my arm out of his grasp as soon as we were alone.

"My problem is that I have a racer who is in no way ready for today. You need to take this seriously, Princess. We were lucky once; we may not be the next time," Starry glared at me. Finally, realization dawned on me.

"You're worried. That's what this is about. You think I'll wreck again, don't you," I accused.

"Yes, I do. If you don't get your head on straight you may very well wreck again, and this time, Shadow may not be there to pull you to safety. You owe your life to that boy. He won't take any credit for it, but do him the favor of not repeating your actions in the last race," Starry shot at me.

"Weren't you there, Starry? That wreck wasn't my fault. It was an accident. I know Shadow won't take any credit, he wouldn't even let me thank him. Don't you dare think for one moment that I don't remember what he did for me," I pointed my white-gloved finger at him. I abruptly turned and walked away from my mentor, determined to have the last word. Starry yelled for me to get back there, but I ignored him; I walked away without looking back.