Chapter Eight

The next time I awoke, I was laying in a beautiful room with wood beams in the ceiling and big glass windows on one wall. There was a fireplace and the furniture was styled like a ski lodge. I sat up, with some difficulty, and looked around. An IV was still in my arm, but there were fewer bandages on me. I struggled to sit up and swung my legs over the edge to stand up. At that moment, a nurse entered the room. She didn't look very surprised to see me up.

"Good morning Miss. Rose," she smiled pleasantly, looking at her clipboard.

"Uh, good morning," I replied, my voice scratchy. I tried clearing my throat and after several attempts, managed to.

"How are you feeling?" she asked. She walked up to check my IV.

"Like I got ran over by a bus," I admitted. She smiled a little.

"That's actually not too far from the truth. The accident was pretty bad," she admitted.

"Where am I?" I looked around me.

"One of the Sega Corporation's medical facilities. They brought you here after you were in the normal hospital for a few days," she said.

"Is there anything wrong with me?" I asked cautiously. She smiled.

"Not at all. You had a concussion, some bad cuts and scrapes, and some bruises, nothing more. No broken or fractured bones. They had to cut you out of your car," she said. I frowned.

"Are the races still on?" I asked when she walked toward the door.

"I don't know ma'am. They don't tell me those things," she gave me one last smile before leaving. I sighed and rubbed my head, disheveling what I assumed was already awful hair. I set my bare feet on the ground and prepared myself to stand. I didn't get to however, as the door opened again. This time it was Starry who walked in.

"How are you feeling Princess?" he asked me, standing in front of me with his arms crossed.

"Much better than I was," I answered. He nodded.

"Good. We had to totally scrap your old car, but Trixie is with Tails rebuilding a new one. The races will continue in two weeks. The race in Monaco will be nullified because if the accident. We'll be going to Paris next for a few days for rest and relaxation: everyone is pretty worried after what happened," Starry filled me in.

"Was anyone else hurt?" I asked after a pause.

"Sonic had a few cuts, but he was generally fine. Shadow had no injuries at all. In fact, the rescue teams didn't respond as fast as they should have, and when they got to the scene, Shadow had already pulled you out of the mangled wreck that used to be your car," when he said that I was both surprised and pained. Surprised, because Shadow had gone out of his way to help me, perhaps save me even. And pained because he kept saying that my car was gone. I had really loved that cheesy, pink monstrosity.

"When do we leave for Paris?" I asked.

"We're outside of Paris right now, but you get to leave this place for the city in a couple days, if you're well enough," Starry said. "You should get more rest. We need you in top shape for the next race," he said gruffly and turned to leave. I pulled my legs back under the blankets and laid down. He turned again.

"Get better, Rose," he ruffled my hair for a second then left, before I could say anything. I shrugged and did my best to drift off to sleep. After a few minutes, I succeeded, and fell asleep.