Chapter Twelve

"So, Amy, what was your hospital stay like?" Silver asked me during our dinner. The conversation at our table quieted a little as everyone waited for my answer.

"Well, not too bad, I'll guess, but I was unconscious for most of my stay, so I don't really know," I shrugged and took a sip of my water.

"Didn't you have, like, rehab?" Cream asked. I shook my head.

"I didn't need rehab. I was just a little burned and cut up, I didn't have any bones broken," I told her.

"Thank Möbius for that," Tails said brightly. I gave him a smile and glanced across the table at the only person who hadn't said a word all night.

"Are you nervous about racing again, Amy?" Blaze asked. Shadow stared at me, waiting for my answer.

"Not really. I don't remember much of the crash, but I don't think I'll freeze and panic out there or anything. I should be ok," I assured her. Blaze smiled.

"Well, all of us at this table are looking out for you Amy, more some than others," Silver gave me a reassuring smile, then glanced at Shadow. I realized that Shadow's gaze had never left my face. I stared back at him defiantly. Everyone began their own conversations, leaving Shadow and I staring at each other. He finally blinked, but didn't look away. I finally couldn't stand it anymore and pushed my chair back. Everyone at the table looked at me, clearly startled.

"Sorry guys. I really need some air. I'll be back," I tried to hide how flustered I was and, before anyone could reply, I was out of there.
I pushed open the doors to the restaurant, drinking in the clear air. I tried not to start hyperventilating. I had no idea what happened to me in there. Something seemed to change, but I wasn't sure what.

"Are you alright?" the last person that I ever expected asked. I whirled around.

"What are you doing out here?" I replied, avoiding his question.

"I wasn't hungry. Plus, I wouldn't have been welcome at any of the tables. I figured I would just wander around a little," Sonic shrugged. He kicked his red and white sneaker on the concrete. "Amy, I'm really sorry about what happened at the Opening Race," he didn't look at me.

"Was it on purpose?" I asked after a pause. Sonic shook his head.

"No. It all happened so fast. I honestly regret what happened. It was my fault and I never wanted to hurt you."

"I forgive you," I said, turning to go back inside.

"That's it? That's all you have to say to me?" Sonic asked.

"It's all I'm willing to say right now," I shrugged him off and returned inside to my friends and the boy who held my attention.