winter nights ( 10 )

Imagine decorating a Christmas tree and playing in the snow with Newt

au: modern day

You walk out of your room into the kitchen and are greeted by an overly smiley Newt. His dorky expression makes you chuckle.

"Why are you smiling like that?" you say to your roommate and best friend as you make your way over to the couch.

Newt gives you an excited look before lifting up a big box. "Guess what I found?"

"Please tell me that's not our old Hogwarts picture albums."

"No, it isn't but when I do find those, I'm forcing you to spend all day looking at them." He says, a mischievous grin on his face. You groan at this. "These are the old Christmas tree decorations I found while rummaging through the boxes in the attic."

He puts the box down and quickly runs to his bedroom. He comes out lugging a gigantic Christmas tree. The tree had been so big that it seemed like it wasn't going to fit into our living room, but surely enough, it did.

You stand up, probably with that same stupid grin Newt had. "This is why you're the best roommate."

Newt looks up at you and grins. "So what do you say Y/N? Ready to decorate this tree?"

"I was born ready," you chuckle. You and Newt quickly begin taking the decorations out of the box and begin to decorate.

Throughout that hour Michael Bublé's Christmas album played softly in the back. You and Newt laughed and joked with each other while decorating, reminiscing on all of your Hogwarts Christmas' and the fun holiday parties you both used to throw in your rooms.

"And the finishing touch," began Newt, "I had made especially for you." Newt pulls out a tree topper outside of a plastic bag but instead of there being a star or an angel, there was a picture of you taken after you had had one too many drinks at your first Hogwarts holiday party. The dress you were wearing in the picture had butterbeer spilt all over the front and your hair looked like a birds nest yet somehow, you were still dancing. You absolutely hated that picture, and Newt knew this and thought it would be funny to showcase it on the top of the tree.

You groan seeing it, "Newt, no! What if someone comes and sees it?!"

He laughs at your reaction, practically gasping for air. You try to fight him from putting it on top of the tree but Newt was much taller and stronger than you, so this was impossible. After a while, you gave up and let him put it up. You had to admit, it was a pretty hilarious picture.

"I hate you," you pout.

He grins, wrapping his strong arms around you. He pulls you back so that you could both have a good look at the tree. He rests his chin on top of your head. "I think we did pretty good," he whispers.

"The stupid tree topper ruins it," you frown.

"I beg to differ," Newt responds.

You look at the gigantic tree with gorgeous blue garland wrapped around it, an array of colourful lights and some homemade ornaments from the past years. "But other than that, yeah, I think we did good too," you continue.

You feel Newt's body shake from laughter. This sends chills up your spine, there was something about Newt's laugh that made you feel so undeniably happy.

He lets go of you slowly, trailing his fingers across your back. This made your knees weak but you made sure not to visibly show it.

"Wow, it was snowing this whole time," says Newt as he makes his way to the window. The snowflakes falling from the dark night sky were big and fluffy looking, you knew it was going to be perfect for eventual snowman making. He makes his way over to the kitchen and pours two glasses of red wine. He brings them over and hands a glass to you. You smile up at him and then pat the spot next to you on the couch. Newt quickly lights up the fireplace and sits on the couch with you.