Chapter 27: What if...

Shiro had somehow arranged to get all of the original Voltron paladins into a single room for lunch. Usually they were all off doing their own things, seeing family or working on the technologies in their separate departments of the Garrison. Despite not asking Shiro for permission, Keith had dragged James along. It had taken a lot of convincing on his part but, after a great deal of pestering, James had given up with arguing and had agreed to come.

That was how they ended up sat around the table in the new Castle of Lions kitchen. Hunk had cooked them all some pasta which he brought out to each of them individually. Once the plates were laid down in front of Lance and Pidge, they started to shovel it into their mouths as if they hadn't eaten in years. Coran ate slowly in a polite way that almost contrasted his erratic personality and Shiro waited for everyone to get their meals before tucking in. Keith ate a few bites of his before realising James hadn't even picked up his cutlery.

"Do you not like it? I can ask Hunk to-" Keith started but James quickly shook his head. Unsure of whether it was the bright lighting, Keith couldn't help but notice how green James looked.

"No, no, it's great. I'm just not hungry."

"But you didn't eat lunch either." James went silent, poking the spaghetti with his fork. The hand that wasn't holding the piece of cutlery was being used to balance his head, sad eyes staring into the dish. "Are you sure you're feeling alright?"

"I feel a bit sick..." James moved his arms so they were wrapped around his stomach and his face scrunched up in a painful wince.

"I think I should take you back to your dorm... You don't look good."

"I think I'm going to be sick."

"Hunk, can you get..." Keith trailed off once he realised that he was too late. James had heaved so loudly the world seemed to shake, vomiting all over his front. He was trembling violently and seemed to have somehow gotten even paler after being sick.

From where Shiro was sitting beside James, he pressed his hand into James's forehead. His fingertips seemed icy cold in comparison to the scorching temperature of James's face. "He's hot. I think he might have a fever," Hunk wiped James's lap with a wad of kitchen roll until there was only a stain of the moment left on James's shorts and in all of their minds. "Take him to his room and get him a wet cloth for his forehead. Coran, go and get some meds."

Coran nodded before rushing out of the room to follow through on the command. Keith helped pull James up onto his feet before guiding him down the halls. They walked at the pace of a snail as James had to stop every so often to lean against the wall to stop the room from spinning around him. Each step elicited the turning to increase in speed, making him all the more tempted to vomit again. Luckily, he wasn't sick for a second time until he was back in his dorm. That time, Keith had given him a bowl so he didn't ruin his outfit even more.

As James sat on his bed, still trembling, Keith sifted through James's wardrobe until he found a set of clean pyjamas. He turned back to James and handed them over but James didn't make any effort to move. Deciding to help him out, Keith reached out and lifted James's shirt over his head; that movement alone was enough to trigger an aching wave of pain throughout James's weak body. After, Keith helped him get the shirt on. "Would you like me to do your trousers?"

James's eyes were lidded as his head toppled forward and he tried his hardest to keep himself awake. He seemed disoriented so Keith could only frown and help him pull his trousers off and get the pyjamas on.

"James?" James hummed but didn't bother using actual words. "I'm just going to get you a wet cloth, okay? I'll be right back." Anther hum. Still distant. James didn't seem to be completely present; his mind seemed miles away. Keith rushed out of the room so he could grab a flannel from the bathroom and wet it. Once he was done, he handed it to James who didn't make the effort to press it against his head. "Lay down for me..." He pressed his hand into James's chest and lightly pushed him onto his back before laying the flannel on top of his forehead.