StormStorm

"I'll take her instead" Eddie pipped garnering the attention from his father.

"I think not" Mr.Richhound growled furiously at the thought of Eddie entertaining that nigger.

 "Bobby get this nigger out of my sight before I change my mind" 

Swiftly Bobby gripped Persephone's arm dragging her out the back gate as they both sprinted a mile away from the plot. Slowing down to catch their breath Persephone held unto her chest as Bobby wheezed out for air.

"What happened today? why is he all over you?" Bobby stated breathlessly, back hunched as he tried gasping for breath.

"I spoke back to him today in class" Persephone gruffed out, as she recalled the trivialities of the early mornings. She should've kept her mouth shut. Bobby hummed as he wrapped his arms around her shoulder as both of them started walking in silence.

"Seph?" Bobby called out as silence followed them.

"Hmm?"

"If granny savings hadn't been stolen, would you still leave me?" Bobby asked; eyeing the shocked black beauty.

"Bobby i-" Persephone tried garnering a good enough response but she couldn't. She didn't really thought of Yvette and Bobby and Nancy. 

She just thought of her and Granny.

"I know its horrible here, but it can't be that bad since you have me" Bobby pipped, questioning once again Persephone's conscience. Persephone didn't know how to respond. 

How could she even respond to that?

Yes, Bobby had been her protector but isn't it better to live freely instead of being guarded by someone.

"Isn't it selfish to wish that I stayed?" Persephone enquired taking Bobby by surprise.

Of course, it was selfish, he knew it was selfish, Yvette knew it was selfish as well, but he couldn't help it.

Bobby sighed tightening his hold around Persephone as they huddled closer together trying to brace the breeze.

"It is" Bobby whispered barely audible but Persephone heard it.

"It is selfish but I can't help it" Bobby groaned. Persephone was his only friend, the only friend he needed, half of these red necks were fake either way. Going after what they perceived someone to be and not who they really are.

"I'm sorry" Bobby ushered out, Persephone slightly nodded unable to really move as to how close they were. "I know"

~

It was late noon before they made it home, the wind had gotten rougher and even though it was inanimately possible for them to be carried by the breeze, Persephone marveled at how they were still walking on their feet. Granny rushed to their side taking in both the freezing children into the warm cottage to thaw out. Quickly she sat them on the chair and rushed to grab them some chocolate tea. Persephone huddled closer to Bobby as he rubbed her down vigorously so she could warm up.