Chapter Seventeen

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

My breathing was coming out in short, shallowed breaths. My hands twitched, but I couldn't move them. My eyes fluttered, but they wouldn't open. I could hear words being spoken, but I couldn't comprehend what they were. I wasn't even sure where I was. The same room as before? A hospital? Home?

I kept going in and out of consciousness. Someone grabbed my hand, and it sent a jolt of pain through my body. It was all it took for me to go out cold again. The next time I woke up, I was able to open my eyes. The light above me blinded me momentarily, but once my vision readjusted to the light, I was able to look around.

The room I was in was unfamiliar. White walls, two doors. One I guessed was the entrance to the room, the other was the door to the bathroom. A desk was beside the bed, with a clock on it that read in big, bright red letters that it was 10:15 in the morning. On the other side of the bed, someone was sitting there, slouched over, so that I couldn't really see their face. But their hair, I recognized that color and style.

I wanted to call out their name, but it was stuck on the tip of my tongue. Reaching out as best as I could without causing too much pain to myself, I placed my hand on their leg. They flinched, but eventually looked up. Those blue eyes were distraught, red and puffy. The person looked as if he couldn't sleep in days. Their lips twitched, but never turned into a smile or frown. What was he thinking?

"Sierra, I'm so sorry. I didn't know this was going to happen."

I blinked, but was still unable to say any words. I opened my mouth to speak, but he put a finger on my lips, indicating that I needed to be quiet. Adam just stared at me with sorrow, and didn't say anything. I wanted to ask where Oliver was, but knew that wasn't a good idea. Not like my lips wanted to move anyway.

"I'm going to get you out of this mess. Oliver and I both are." I perked up at his name, and Adam faintly smiled. Finally. "It'll be okay. He's going to get the money from Mom and Dad, and everything will be okay."

"W-what?" I croaked, my voice audible. What did he mean by this?

"I know you thought you were being saved a couple days ago when Steven came and got you, but I'm sorry. We're still under Rodney's authority." I was so confused, so Adam kind of clarified for me. "He brought you to his secondary location. He made you think you were being rescued. He had to move you because Oliver knew where the other place was, and Rodney had to take precautions now that that photo of you being beaten is out."

That didn't explain why Adam was here.

"Your picture was on the front door, but our parents weren't there. When I saw it, I thought it was almost too late, and I came to find you. You weren't at his first location, but I came here next."

"H-how did you know this was t-the place h-he brought me to?"

He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "This was where I went to pick up his shipment orders and take them to his buyers." He shook his head. "I'm so-"

Adam was interrupted by the door opening, and Rodney walked inside. He had a smirk on his face, and I saw Adam tense up. He clenched his fists and locked his jaw as he stood up. "Why haven't you let her go?" Adam demanded, taking a threatening step toward Rodney. "I'm here, now let her go."

I wanted to scream out at my brother to be quiet before he got hurt to. If he was able to have one of his men do this to me, then he'd have no problem wiping my brother out. But Adam didn't seem scared of this guy. In fact, seeing him face-to-face with the man he owed a hundred thousand dollars to with no fear in his eyes, made me commend him from being brave. Brave, but stupid. My brother was signing his death wish right now.