Dinner at Darla's

David led Elaine through the doorway of a bar called "Darla's".

It was an old fashioned bar with old signs and billboards hung up on the walls. There were all kinds of beer bottles lining the wall farthest, behind the bartender. Which she assumed was Darla herself.

As they waited to be seated, Mel waltzed in smiling and holding up a tiny package. She handed it to Elaine.

Puzzled, Elaine asked, "What's this?"

"Well, David told me you saw the lake outback behind his cabin?" She raised her brow.

Elaine smiled. "Yes! It's breathtaking."

" David said that too-" she paused and smiled at David. " Just in a different way." David grumbled something under his breath.

" Okay... So what is it?"

"Open it!" Mel laughed.

Elaine peeled back the packaging to see a handful of beautiful pictures. Of the lake!

"For when you leave, I thought it would be nice for you to have something you loved from here," Mel blurted.

David quickly barked." Who says she's leavin'. Red'll be here for a while and with the real thing."

Ignoring David's rude and confusing comment Elaine smiled back at Mel with tears in her eyes.

"Thank you Mel! It's the first time anyone's ever done something like this!"

"What given you a gift?" She laughed.

" No, received a gift just because...."

Elaine had been given gifts before, but they were always out of pity, or expectation. Never once had she received anything out of sincerity.

Mel fell silent. David cursed, " fuck."

Elaine reached out and touched David's arm. "It's ok." She smiled back at Mel. And before David could say anything she turned to Mel.

"Thank you. I'll cherish it." She leaned in and hugged her.

Interrupting their moment, a short, tiny girl with bright pink hair, wearing an apron approached them.

"Hi! Welcome to Darla's! Sorry about the wait guys, she said breathlessly.
She finally looked up and paused. She then smiled and laughed, "Well if it isn't the thornes!" Thornes?

"Last name honey," muttered Mel. Oh!

"It's great to see ya! Let me show you to a table!" The pink haired girl said.

" Here ya are one in the back. Really sorry about the wait, we're busy tonight!" She said as they slid into the booth. David sat next to Elaine, wrapping his arm possessively around her shoulders.

The girl began to take their order when she paused. " You're her!" She nearly screamed.

Elaine froze. What the hell?

The pink haired girl squealed, "Your the girl everyone's been talking about. The one that's been with David today! The one who bought coffee, and clothes, and-

She stopped and blushed. Surly the girl wasn't going to say the word panties in front of a staring group of interested customers.

But she shocked Elaine when the girl got down to ear level and whispered, "panties!"

Elaine was sure her face looked at least 50 different shades of red. She had to admit, the girl had spunk.

The girl whirled around and shouted towards the bar, " Yo Darla! She's here! She sittin in this booth. She's got the prettiest hair too! You know the one Deena was tellin us about earlier?"