Prologue

His POV

I fluttered my tired eyes open, blinking to the lights. The smell itself told me; I was in a hospital room. The jeep that had hit me with no mercy, suddenly flashed through my eyes. I blinked one last time, and looked around in search of my brother- Ray. My eyes found him outside the room. He was on a call. Though his face showed worry, his eyes were calmer. Must be speaking to his girlfriend, I thought.

Girlfriend.

That reminds me. Where is my girlfriend?
My Tina.
She must be around somewhere. I smiled at the thought of her but frowned when I realized that she must have been so scared.

Ray entered the room and his eyes almost bulged out of his sockets as I smiled, he grinned and ran back to call the doctor. I shook my head and tried to sit up, wondering how long I had been unconscious.

Strange.

I panicked when I realized what it was. I couldn’t feel my legs!

I threw the cover to the side, fearing the worst, letting out a sigh of slight relief at the sight of my legs still attached to my body. But why couldn’t I feel them? All kinds of thoughts filled my mind in a matter of few seconds.
The click of the door opening caught my attention. I was thankful that the doctor and Ray arrived before those scary thoughts could consume me.

“Doctor. Why can’t I feel my legs?” My voice was rushed, rough and cracking.

The doctor gave me a sad smile, making me feel pitied. What the hell has gone wrong with me? Why is he looking at me like that? I looked around to find Tina. I want her here. She is my strength. Where is she?

“Let’s talk about your legs later. We first need to check if you are feeling okay? Your head was hurt too. Fortunately, your upper body did not have any serious injuries…”

“What do mean my ‘upper body did not have serious injuries’? What about my legs? I can walk, right?” I almost yelled.

Ray clenched his jaw and looked anywhere but at me, with doubt and concern flashing in his eyes. The doctor sighed, “…We aren’t sure about that. If you try your best, you may be…”

“You aren’t sure? How can you even say that?”

“Sir, you need to calm down.”

“How the hell… do I calm down?” I felt defeated, weak and as a result, my voice this time was just a whisper.

What am I supposed to do now? I had got my job just a few weeks ago. I am a Civil engineer. How can I work without moving around? Tina and I had planned to buy a new house soon. We were saving up for it. But the hospital expenses? Oh God. I feel dizzy.
My face fell in my palms. The doctor was saying something but I couldn’t pay attention.

Tina had so many dreams. She always told me that she never wanted us to have financial problems. That financial safety was most important. She must be so disappointed with the way things turned out. I wanted to keep her happy. I thought everything was falling into place. Why this? Why now?

We were supposed to meet her parents in a few weeks. Not that we were going to marry anytime soon but I knew she would be my bride and no one else.

What if I'm not able to walk again? Will she marry such a man, who can’t give her anything he promised? I… would just be a burden. To everyone.

Is this the end of my normal life? I felt fury but I also felt weak. I don’t like this. I need My Tina here. I need her to assure me that it’ll all be okay. Please, God, someone tell me its gonna be okay.