Chapter 17

Megan's POV

I opened my eyes, having to quickly adjust to the sudden amount of light. I wasn't too disoriented. I remembered what happened easily. Dan was sitting in one of the uncomfortable looking hospital chairs. Dan's head was lolled back in sleep. One of his hands was at the side of his face while the other rested on the arm of the chair. His position looked terrible. When he wakes up, his neck will probably be hurting. The longer he stays like that, the more it will hurt when he wakes up. That's what made me decide to let out a whisper of his name. He groaned, eyes still closed. His hand moved from the side of his face to his neck and he sat up, obviously discomforted. He opened his eyes, rubbing his neck lightly. I saw his mouth open a little in a yawn as he stood up for a moment to move to my hospital bed. His hand lightly rested on mine. 

"How are you feeling?" Dan asked, accidentally letting a small yawn escape his mouth. "Good," Apparently I had to have emergency surgery because I had appendicitis which caused my appendix to burst.

 Dan smiled a little bit as he stretched his arms above his head. The absence of his hand on mine made a chill go through my spine. I wanted it to happen again. Dan's hand went to his pocket and he pulled out something. He noticed that I was watching his hands and he lent forward, connecting our lips. My eyes widened at the sudden action. I felt his hand touch mine as he slipped something in my hand. He pulled away and smiled as I looked at him confused. I opened my hand and saw the small piece of paper that had his name scrawled across it. A smile instantly spread across my face. I dropped the paper onto the bed and grabbed his hand, intertwining our fingers. His smile was wide. "I like your smile," I mumbled, laughing at myself. Dan laughed a little. "Oh, and your laugh, but you already knew that," I smirked. Dan chuckled and lent forward connecting our lips. 

"You two are best friends. No fighting!" My lip jutted out as I pouted. When I had asked where Phil was, Dan told me about them fighting. "He really doesn't want you and I around each other..." Dan pointed out. 

"Well, he can deal! Get him down here!" I said, angrily. "I'm not talking to him," Dan said, pulling his phone out and throwing it onto the bed. I picked it up, "Ugh, passcode!" Dan laughed as I groaned in frustration. Dan put in the passcode and gave the phone back to me. I looked through the contacts until I got to Phil's name. I clicked the call button and put it on speaker. 

It rang a few times before I heard Phil answer with a raspy, "What do you want, Dan?" I laughed, "I'm not Dan, but I want you to come here. I want to see you!" I heard Phil scoff through the phone. "Dan's there so that's a no," I rolled my eyes, "Phil, you two are best friends. Stop fighting over stupid things," Dan sat at the end of the bed, watching the phone intently as if Phil was about to pop through the screen. 

"So you're a stupid thing?" Phil asked, his voice hinting off that he was angry. I looked at Dan, confused. He never told me what they were fighting about. "Uh, I guess so, if that's what you're fighting about," I told him. Phil sighed, "I'll come down there, if Dan is somewhere else while I'm there." I nodded at Dan, "Okay, but you guys really need to make up." I heard a almost inaudible 'whatever' from Phil before he hung up. 

I looked at Dan, "So what were you guys fighting about?" Dan smiled, most likely hoping that I would blow it off. "I love you?" He shrugged, still giving me that hopeful smile. "Good try, Howell," Dan's smile dropped into a pout and I laughed a little. 

Phil arrived and Dan left, saying he was going to the cafeteria to get he and I some food. "Phil..." I said in a warning tone. "What?" Phil asked as he sat down. "Why are you fighting with Dan over me?" I asked him. Phil scoffed, "I don't want anything like that to happen between you two." Phil said, crossing his arms. "Well, too bad. I'm dating Dan." I said quickly. I heard a strangled sort of growl come from Phil and I couldn't hold in my laughter.

 "Okay, I'm leaving," Phil said and I laughed. "No. Philip Michael Lester. You shall not leave," Phil glared at me. "Megan Rae Lester. I'm leaving," Phil said, standing up. I tried to grab his arm, but failed. "Fine..." I pouted. I heard Phil laugh under his breath as he walked out of the door. I heard the door close and I noticed that Dan had came back. 

"I wanted to wait until he was gone." 

I looked away, "You guys can't fight. I'm not going to allow it." Dan laughed under his breath and I turned my head to look at him, seeing his amazing smile. 

Dan and I spent the rest of the evening watching YouTube videos on his Macbook. That is until we both fell asleep on the hospital bed. His arms wrapped around me and my face buried in his chest.

**IT HAPPENED. IT FINALLY HAPPENED. THEY ARE TOGETHER. I bet no one is as excited as I am and I write it! Thanks for reading, you guys! I really hope you are enjoying this story! More to come soon!**

[Edit from 2017: I want to burn this whole book. Also ^^ calm down, you young soul.]