Coming Home

Sitting in the truck as we head to the office to grab our things I realize something: where was I staying? Would it be with Dog or Tim? Or was I to find my own way to an apartment? I shuddered at the thought and turned to Dog. Realizing my sense of urgency and alertness he began to talk about where I was staying for the time being. "You can stay with Leland until you have enough money from working to get an apartment." I grimace at the thought due to the fact that me and Leland got off on the wrong foot. I nod my head and see that we have arrived at the office. Getting out of the car, I went in the office and went to my little bag of personal items. Turning I see Leland waiting for me at the door. Walking towards him, I give a small wave to Dog and Beth and walk out the door. 

  Seeing him walk to the truck and get in it, I follow his lead throwing my shit in the back. Buckling up, we started to back up and go to the edge of the parking lot. Turning down the street, I hear a sigh and a shuffle of fabric. "So I live on the main island with my kids. I hope you don't mind kids." Shaking my head, I turned to him and gave him a smile. I had always loved kids and wanted to be around them when I was younger. Unfortunately I had the opportunity ripped away from me when I chose this world instead. So in other words I was ecstatic.  

We rolled up to a decent sized house and I felt the car stop abruptly. I saw kids coming out of the house and running up to the side of the car. I saw him open his door and slam it shut, crouching down to hug the kids. I silently get out of the car and grab my things, closing the door behind me. Feeling some eyes on me, I turned to the group nearly sitting on the ground. "Guys this is Katherine. She's going to be staying with a while, and I hope you make her feel welcome." I gave a very sheepish wave, and turned due to my cheeks burning red. "She doesn't speak daddy?" I hear one of the children ask. "Well she can't my dude. Don't point something out that can offend someone. It's rude." I hear him tell his child. Turning back to them, I walked over to Leland and put my hand on his shoulder. I looked down at his position and made him look at me. Shaking my head, I give his shoulder a squeeze and turn my head into the direction of the house. 

  Walking in the door, I could feel a sense of home wash over me. It was a feeling I hadn't felt in a while and it honestly, scared me. Feeling conflicted, I got shaken out of my revere by Leland coming up the hallway to where I was at. Feeling his hand on my lower back, I follow him to where I would be staying at. Hearing him sigh, I felt his hand leave my back making me frown slightly. Going into the room I saw that it was a guest room with a full size bed. Dropping my very small bag, I sit on the bed and look around. Falling back, I bring my hands to my face and give a small squeal of happiness. It was the first time that I have made a sound like that in years and it surprised me when I did. Sitting back up, I got up and walked to the door. Going back down the hall, I walked over to the kitchen and saw all the kids sitting around the island. I then saw Leland around the stove cooking for all of them. "Good to see that you're all settled in. Now I hope you like pasta because that's what for dinner." I cocked my head to the side when I heard him saw that. He was feeding me? Nodding my head yes, I put my elbows on the counter and leaned against my hands. I was next to a kid with short hair and I saw his hand stick out in front of my face. "My names Dakota." Giving a smile, I stood up and shook his hand. I felt his hand fall through mine and I saw him give me a bright smile. I hear the clatter of plates and I turned to grab the stack from him. He gives me a look and I gave him the same look back. Taking it from his hands, I put them on the counter and grab the spoon to begin plating. I felt him beside me so I looked up at him. I give him a smile and he gave one back. Giving him his plate, I pointed to him to tell him that it was his plate. I hear him sit down and then I begin plating for the kids. After everyone got their plates, I grab the last plate to see that I had gave everyone their pasta and forgot to save some for myself. Realizing my mistake and losing my appetite, I put the plate back into the cupboard. I hear the scrape of the chair and feel the vibrations of foot steps coming towards me. "Aren't you going to eat?" Pointing to the bowl to show that there was no more, I turned back to him and shrugged my shoulders. It wasn't the first time that I had gotten nothing to eat after serving people and it wouldn't be the last. He turned his head and I could already see a bright red coming across his face. Shrinking back in to my shoulders, I turned my head to look at the floor. I felt his fingers near my jaw and I closed my eyes, waiting for the blow to take place. His fingers closed around my jaw lightly and I felt him tug my face to look at his. His face was close enough to feel his breath on my face and I felt my embarrassment increase. "I'm not mad, I just want to know why you didn't save yourself enough food?" I grabbed a pad from the fridge and a pen from the counter and began to write down my thoughts. 'I didn't realize I over served people and when I went to grab some for myself, there wasn't any. It's no one's fault but my own' Holding up the paper I felt a sigh leave my lips. Doing this constantly was putting a strain on my hand and I felt the cramp run up my hand. 'You need to learn sign language cause this is hurting my hand from writing too much'. I heard a laugh and then a sigh. "Do you want something else? Cause I can make you something; grilled cheese, pasta with butter and cheese, steak, chicken nuggets...." I give a small laugh and hold up one finger for the first option. Giving me another small laugh, he turned to the stove and turned on the burner. "Welcome to the family Katherine." 

A/N Wow guys! So I'm not dead but school and work have been kicking my ass for the long run. Next chapter will definitely have more action, but for now let's enjoy some Katland action.