𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚝𝚘 𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚗𝚎

TRIGGER WARNING: MENTION OF RAPE (reader's discretion is advised)

Tate's POV

"A truck full of supplies is gonna go by Jones Street, that is where Kyle and Natalie will get in the way, Audrey will be the sniper. Hugh you will open the back of the truck and take as many stuff as you can, if things get ugly don't worry, I'll be inside the store next to where they will be stopped. Plan B is the next one: if plan A fails all of you will get in the truck and drive off, making sure no one but you guys gets in, I will take care of whoever shipped the stuff. Any doubts?" I explained.

I saw Thomas raise his hand. I smiled gently. "No Thomas, you will not go on the mission," I said a step ahead. I saw him look at the floor, pouting his lip. I laughed to myself a little. "You know we cannot risk you getting hurt, kid," I explained.

"But I can do it. I'm ready!" He insisted.

I approached him and knelt. "Look, one day you will be in charge of your very own group, and I am sure you will be amazing at it, maybe even better than I am," I said.

He smiled and looked up to me. "Do you think so?" He asked.

"I am sure,"

"Thanks Tate,"

()

I got in my room and threw my boots across the room. I heard someone cough; I completely forgot that I had my guest handcuffed. I laughed. "Uncomfortable, Kitty?" I asked raising my eyebrow.

She glared at me. I rolled my eyes and released her. She looked at me with curiosity in her gaze. "What is Thomas' story?" She asked.

I smirked. "So we're eavesdropping now, huh?" I asked her raising an eyebrow.

"I just want to know if he was...hurt when you found him," She admitted.

I tried not to look emotional, so I turned the pain into resent. "His mother was a rape victim; I like to think that the attacker didn't survive long. I found her crying in a burning trashcan trying to drop Thomas, he was just a newborn. So, I told her I could take them both somewhere safe, which, at the time was the theatre. She was hesitant at first, but after a good kick in my balls she eventually went with me. She died a few weeks later; he was the first kid I rescued," I explained.

"Tate how old are you?" She asked me with a hurt look.

"Well, you should be thankful I'm not a girl, since they tend to get pretty offended when we ask them that question. I'm eighteen; I was born in the pitiful day of January 8th of 2030," I said. I tried to keep my usual mY bIrThDaY iS tHe sAmE dAy aS dAvId bOwIe'S, luckily I succeeded. I didn't want her to stop taking me seriously, embarrassing, I know.

"You were thirteen when you rescued him?" She asked in disbelief. I nodded. "So does that mean-"

"Yes, I raised a kid for five years, spent my whole teen years taking care of him, and I still will until my last breath. He's practically my brother; I can't imagine what would've happened to him if I decided to walk by another street that day," I sighed.

"But, you said only the bad people stayed here, that everyone else went to Mars. Then, why was that girl there?"

"She told me she was an, an orphan. She couldn't afford the trip. You see Katherine, that's what sucks about the old times. The rich are always the main priority. The problem with your time is simple, the ones that rule everything aren't the ones with the most power to do good things, they are the ones with the most zeros in their bank accounts. The world you know was ruled by money and corruption, that's what led to this. Why we were left here to perish, because they didn't care about the planet, they cared about economic benefit," I expressed, as I let out a breath I had no idea I was holding.