4

The following week went by quickly, and before I knew it, I was out with Evelien again. This time, she invited me to her place, and I got to meet BB, her cat.

"BB, come here.." She put her hand down. "This is the guy I was telling you about last week.... This is Seán."

"Meow.."

"Aww hey there, little dude.." I petted him and made him purr. "Aww.."

"I think BB likes you," Evelien smiled. "I guess that makes two of us.." Her comment made me blush. I sat down on her couch, and her cat jumped up next to me with a toy in his mouth. "I think he wants you to play with him." I picked up his toy and dangled in above him until he swatted it out of my hand.

"I've literally never had a cat... so I have no idea what's going on," I laughed.

"Well BB is trusting you. He gave you his mouse so you could play with him, and showing that you weren't just going to take it, proved that you're alright," she explained. "He's an odd feline.."

"What's BB stand for?"

"Big Boss."

"Big Boss?" I smiled, and she nodded. "Big Boss Smolders... I like it.."

"Yeah, I named him that cause he's always acting all big and bad... when in reality, he's just a couch potato.." BB jumped onto my lap and rolled over. "See?"

"Aww.. can I rub your belly, BB?" I tried to, and he squirmed as he purred.

~

Whilst we played a few video games, we talked a bit, but I couldn't stop thinking about getting past the friend zone.. I mean, sure... We flirt, but we hadn't made anything official. We had just met. Evelien suggested we watch a few movies and found her Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter collections. After turning on one, she grabbed a blanket and sat next to me, laying her head on my shoulder. She pulled my arm around her, and I felt my heart beating louder and louder.

As the movies continued, I couldn't focus on the screen. All I cared about was the beautiful, thirty year old young woman in my arms. With every joke, she smiled and giggled. Every sad moment, she felt the pain of the characters. Every fight, she cheered for her favourite. I admired her in every instance, and when she caught me, I turned away.

"I saw that.." she teased, and my face went hot. She nuzzled against me again and continued watching the movie. There was an intimate scene between two characters, and as they looked at each other, I turned to look at Evelien. She smiled, but then noticed the love in my eyes. I tucked her hair behind her ear.

"I... I really like you, Evelien..." I stuttered through my words. She blushed. "Um..."

"I really like you, too...." Evelien bit her lip. I slowly leaned in.

"Is... Is it okay if.." I started to ask, and she pulled me closer until our lips collided. Immediately, I felt sparks bursting as we kissed, and my heart skipped beats. When she broke away, I couldn't stop smiling.

"I guess that's what you meant by really like.." Evelien smiled from ear to ear.

"I.. I was not expecting that.." I sighed with relief.

"I wasn't expecting to do that," she giggled. "But... I knew.. since we met.. There's something about you.." Evelien looked into my eyes. "You have... such gorgeous... eyes.. They almost.. spa-"

"Sparkle?" I finished her sentence, and she nodded.

"You probably hear that a lot though.."

"Actually... no.." I said, and she looked surprised. "You're the first girl to show any interest in me since my divorce..."

"Really?" She asked. "Well... Hopefully I'm the last girl.." Evelien kissed me on the cheek and rested her head back on my shoulder. "I'm really gonna miss you when I'm out of town..."

"I'm really gonna miss you, too.." I said. "Do you have anyone lined up to watch over this little one?" BB jumped up next to me.

"I didn't even think about that... Would you be okay with it?" I nodded. "Thank you, Seán... I know I can sleep easily knowing you'll be watching over my little buddy.."

"Meow?"

"Seán's going to keep you in good hands whilst I'm gone, okay BB?" Evelien explained to her cat. "You've shown me you like him, so I know you'll be cool with this."

"When do you leave?" I asked. She explained that she'll have to be on the plane the week of Thanksgiving. "And you'll be back.. December 26?" She nodded.

"We'll Skype.." She smiled. "I'll have my laptop and phone.... and you have my number.." I nodded. "And I'll be back before you know it.."

"I already miss you, and you're not even gone yet.." I sighed.

"Hey.." She smiled. "BB's gonna keep you company.." Evelien pulled me closer for us to kiss again. "And besides... We still have time before I'll be going.. We can spend Halloween together."

"That sounds perfect.." I held her close. "So... When you're with your family... What are you going to refer to me as?"

"Well..." Evelien smiled. "I don't know... What would you refer to me as?" She teased.

"Would we... want to make this thing.... a thing?" I smiled. She shrugged, then started giggling. "Is that a yes? Does BB have a new dad?"

"Oh, this is about being BB's father?" Evelien laughed.

"Well.. You're pretty gorgeous, too... but he's an epic beast.." I gestured to the cat. He looked at me like I had lost it. "You're judging me, aren't you?" I looked at BB.

"Meow.."

"I think that's his way of saying... just ask her to be your girlfriend, dumbass.." Evelien wrapped her arms around me.

"I am a bit of a dumbass, aren't I?" I laughed. "But... BB... Do you think I should?" The cat meowed again. "Well?" I looked at the beautiful woman with me. "Will you be my girlfriend?"

"Hm..." She said, then started to smile. "Of course, Seán... but let's keep it away from the media for a while... Just until both of our divorces are old news."

"Yeah.... The fans might flip.."

"But we've both moved on from them.." She blushed.