The Epilogue

Ro Byrnes, 27th June 2012

“Georgie don’t be scared.” I said as I pulled on her arm. “Have I told you how beautiful you look?” I noticed she blushed, a thing that took a bit of effort to accomplish when it comes to Georgie. She looked down and I stepped closer and tipped her head to look at me with my finger on her chin. “You look beautiful.” I whispered and kissed her lips quickly before pulling away. She held onto the lapels of my grey suit and looked up at me with her tearful but happy blue eyes. “Are you okay to go?” I asked and she nodded so I took her hand and pulled her through the car park and up the steps that led into St. George’s hotel.

Inside it was civilised chaos. All our well dressed peers flitting across the foyer. I spotted Olivia with a girl with blonde curly hair, they were having a heated discussion and when Olivia spotted me she pointed at me. The blonde girl turned and grinned at me, it was Ffi.

“Ro!” She said with a big smile when she ran over.

“Hello Ffi. This is Georgie, my girlfriend. Georgie, this is Ffi who I met at the hospital one day.” I said with a smile when Georgie looked up at me questioningly. She looked back at Ffi and gave her a smile.

“Hi Georgie, I heard that you’re out of hospital and I did some research and I knew I would see you here so I decided I’d pop in and say hi. So; HI!” She yelled the last part causing a number of people to turn and look at the three of us. “You look beautiful by the way Georgie. I got this for you.” She held out a burgundy rose out to her and Georgie took it tentatively. “Well, I’d better go.” She gave Georgie a quick hug and then gave me one too. “Hop you have a great day.” And as fast as she was at our sides she was gone out of the big doors.

“Okay, I need to search the two of you.” A tall man said in all black. I rolled my eyes as he told Georgie to set her legs apart and quickly checked her for any drugs or alcohol. The ROA committee had made sure that we knew that if alcohol or drugs were found on us we were kicked out. I agreed but searching people like we were at an airport was going too far. He did the same to me before Georgie had to empty her bag and let the man search the lining and stuff like that. “All clear.” the man said.

“No shit Sherlock.” I grumbled as I grabbed Georgie’s hand and pulled her across the foyer and through the big doors where music was crashing and the lights were flashing. She laughed as I pulled her to where our group was at a table at the side of the dance floor. “Yo lads!” I yelled “and lady.” I added causing Phoebe to grin at me. “So have you done the photos yet?”

“Nah.” Dave said nonchalantly “We were waiting for you.” And with that we went back into the foyer and had our group photo together. The committee was trying for the cheesy American PROM theme with the couple photos (but we had it as groups), ROA king and queen and awards for ‘class clown’ and ‘most likely to become president’.

After the photo was done I pulled Georgie back into the main room. I took her to the dance floor and spun her a few times before putting my hands on her hips, where they belonged. The music played but I couldn’t decipher which crappy pop song it was from another but Georgie knew it and was mouthing the words. We just swayed from side to side looking at each other both trying to do the romantic stare in the movies but looking more like we were trying to laugh. I was trying not to laugh, it felt so clichéd.