fourteen - prison

I'd been dreading school to end all day on Monday. Nothing particularly interesting happened. We went through the day as usual, but I was feeling like I was going crazy all day.

I saw Adrian during homeroom, English, math, and at his locker during a passing period. He didn't ask or answer any questions in class, as usual. Geraldine Stone was waiting by his locker and apparently walked with him to lunch, but it was the opposite way of the cafeteria. I wish I could say that didn't make me feel a little jealous. I didn't see him at lunch, either.

The group kept asking me what was wrong at lunch. I didn't feel like telling them that we were going to see Adrian's dad in prison after school, and on top of that, he was probably making out with Geraldine in the back of the theater room, so I just said that I been feeling sick.

Now, we're off the train, and walking a few blocks to the prison. Adrian's hand is in mine, but it's slightly shaking. I don't know if it's because he's nervous or because it's freezing cold.

"What did you tell my parents?" I ask as we walk.

"That we had a math study group."

"So, we're lying to them."

"It's not like we can tell the truth. They'd never let us go."

I bite my lip, conflicted. I kind of agree with him, but it feels weird lying to my parents. I wish they would relax with the rules, but maybe they won't let us go for a good reason. I don't have much time to worry about it, though, because we're standing right outside the prison.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" I ask.

He nods slowly. "Come on."

There's a small gate to the side that we walk through. I see signs everywhere, but I'm too distracted to read them.

"Can I help you?" The lady at a desk inside the building speaks.

Adrian steps up. "We're here to see Benjamin Rivera."

She types away on the computer. "Name and relation?"

He pauses. "Adrian Perez, and, um, he dated my mom for a few years."

"Is there no direct relation right now?"

"He's my half-brother's dad."

She keeps typing before looking up at me. "What's your name and relation to Mr. Rivera?"

I raise my eyebrows. I hadn't expected her to call on me like that. "Jade Sanchez. I'm a family friend."

"Are you two over 18?" We both shake our heads. "Any form of identification? License or school IDs?"

I pull out my school ID card and hand it over to her. I never got my license, because I never drive anywhere. Adrian hands his ID to her over the counter. She types more stuff before handing them back.

"Walk down straight that way until you get to the security checkpoint."

I let out a breath of relief as we walk by. Security makes us go through a metal detector, then they pat us down before giving us yellow wristbands.