two - dinner with friends

When I get back from my run on Saturday morning, the house is quiet and empty, except for Adrian. He's standing at the kitchen counter, pouring a bowl of cereal.

"Good morning," I call out, taking the hair tie out of my hair.

"Morning," he mumbles, clearly surprised when I walk in. He rubs a hand over his eyes and turns around.

"Where is everyone?" I ask. He slides a yellow post-it note over to me.

Took Carter to Central Park. Be back by 2 pm. There's donuts on the counter for you guys.
— Mom & Dad

"Where were you?" He inquires, more out of curiosity than concern.

I'm so surprised that he's actually talking to me, it takes a moment for me to respond. "I went for a run."

He gives me a look. "At 9 on a Saturday?"

I shrug. Running always helps clear my mind, and considering that it's always racing with a million thoughts, I need that more than anything.

I eye the bright pink box of donuts on the counter and smile. "They got us Jelly's," I say, happily. Adrian doesn't move. "Have you ever tried them?" I ask.

He shakes his head. I grab two plates from the cabinet and take out the donuts, placing one on each plate. "It's the best donut shop in all of Manhattan."

I slide a plate with a chocolate glazed donut over to him. He looks up at me and then back at the plate, before picking it up and taking a bite. I wait for his expression to change but it never does.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" He asks, narrowing his eyes after swallowing his donut.

"You didn't even have a reaction," I exclaim.

"Was I supposed to?"

"Yes! It's Jelly's."

"I don't taste anything special."

"You're crazy," I mumble, picking up my own donut.

He stands up straighter and turns against the counter, his face showing a hint of a smile. "I know, Julie."

It takes me a moment to realize. "It's Jade!" I call out, but he's half way into his room.

✘✘✘

On Sunday night, Tyler, Liam, Lesly, and I are all stuffed into Tyler's spacious room watching Mean Girls on his big tv.

"This movie sucks," Liam calls out from the floor.

Lesly twists in the chair she's sitting in at Tyler's desk. "We don't want to watch a movie. We want to hear about the new hot guy who's sleeping in your room."

I grab a pillow and throw it straight at her head. "He's not sleeping in my room."

Tyler groans and turns over in the bed next to me. "Can all of you shut up and let me sleep?"

"It's 8 o' clock, you fucking grandma," Liam says, jumping on the bed with us.

"My parents were yelling at each other at 2 am last night," Tyler sighs, slamming a pillow over his head. "Apparently, my dad is spending too much time with his assistant, and I have to hear my mom accuse him of cheating for five hours in the middle of the night."