eleven - thanksgiving

"I need you to go to the store and get more pumpkin filling," Mom says, whirling around the kitchen.

I continue eating out of the container of frosting I found on the counter. "I'm grounded, remember?"

Mom gives me a look and grabs the frosting out of my hand. "I'll pause your grounding enough for you to walk to the store and get me my pumpkin filling."

I groan as I get up from the kitchen stool. "Can I ask someone to come with me?"

"Take Adrian," she says, half paying attention.

I freeze. We hadn't talked since that kiss last night. "I meant Lesly or someone."

She waves me off and nods, reading a recipe off a book.

Thanksgiving was always a rush at the Sanchez household, but usually Grandma Melissa, Dad's mom, came in early to help Mom make everything. This year, she was spending Thanksgiving with Aunt Emma, Dad's younger sister, in Texas with her new fiancé.

Emma was younger than my parents, but Mom said she used to watch her all the time when she was a baby. She called last night and talked on the phone with Mom for an hour about how amazing he was and how they'd come to New York for Christmas so we could meet him. The wedding was set for next March in California.

I grab my coat and keys and walk into the hallway. I send a quick text to the group chat with Liam, Lesly, and Tyler.

mom let me out of prison for an hour to go get her stuff for dinner. anyone wanna come with?

Liam is the first one to send a text back.

Can't my cousins are already here and I'm being forced to entertain the little demons

A text from Tyler comes in.

I wish but Kathy n Tom showed up and she's pregnant no way Im getting out of this

I smile a little. Kathy is his older sister, and Thomas is her husband. I hadn't talked to her since she moved out, but I'm happy for them.

Lesly sends a text.

omg yes i can come with you pls save me from my personal hell

I laugh and step on the elevator to the floor Les lives on. She's already waiting by her door and practically runs when she sees me.

"What's the rush?" I laugh, pressing the button to the bottom floor.

"My mom was making me help my little sister do turkey paintings. She threw a pint of blue paint all over my new white top."

The door opens and we step out. "Oh god."

"So what are your plans for tonight?"

"Mom's parents are flying in from California in a few hours, and Kelani and Aiden are coming soon," I tell her.

She scrunches her nose as we walk into the cold air. "Is Sophia coming?"

Kelani and Aiden are my parents' best friends from high school. Kelani and my mom also went to Princeton together and Aiden and my dad have known each other since they were kids. They all grew up in California together. They live in Jersey City, and that's half an hour away, but we barely ever see them because everyone's always busy.

Sophia is their daughter. She's also a junior in high school, like us, but Les doesn't like her. Probably because Sophia dated Tyler for almost a year, from last June to May this year, and then broke up with him out of nowhere for another boy. I'm not her biggest fan after that either, but Lesly is very overprotective and really hates her. Mom was already devastated that I wasn't best friends with her best friend's daughter, so I try to keep my annoyance with her at bay.