nine - the truth

"So, how was it?" Adrian says once we're off the subway in Manhattan. "Your first experience in the Bronx."

I smile. Asia and I kept talking for a long time. Hector stopped throwing insults at me once he got a little drunk. He actually ended up being funny. Dylan and Andre just sat in a corner smoking and giggling to each other the whole time.

"It was fun," I finally say. "But that was more of a experience with your friends. Not the Bronx."

He fake pouts. "Can never be satisfied, huh?"

I shove his shoulder. "Thank you for taking me. And making me ride the subway. I had fun today."

He smiles. "Me too."

We pass the street with the bakery and I suddenly remember. "Our cupcakes!"

Adrian looks confused for a minute before remembering. "Oh fuck. I think we left those on the subway on the way there."

Maybe it's the second hand high from all the smoke around the tiny apartment, but I start laughing. I don't even know why. And then Adrian starts laughing. All of a sudden, I can't stop. We're in the elevator up to the apartment and giggling like idiots.

"Jade?"

I look up and stop laughing when I see my dad. I hadn't even noticed that the doors opened. "Oh, hey, Dad."

He looks back and forth between me and Adrian. "Where have you guys been?"

I freeze. Before I can come up with an excuse, Adrian's talking. "Hunt's Point."

Dad's eyes almost fall out of his head. "What?"

I turn to glare at Adrian. It's not like I was going to lie about where I was, but we could've fibbed a little. I turn back to my dad and step out of the elevator. "We just went to go see some of Adrian's friends. It's not a big deal."

Mom comes into the room. "Well, good evening. Where have you two been all day? It's almost dinner time."

"They were in Hunt's Point," Dad says tightly.

Mom blinks. "What?"

Suddenly, Carter's in the room. "Who was in Hunt's Point? I wanted to go!"

"Carter, go to your room," Mom says immediately. She points to me and Adrian. "You two. Come sit."

Carter gives us both scared looks before obeying and disappearing back into his room. Mom and Dad are standing above us while we're sitting down.

"Who's idea was it to go to Hunt's Point?" Dad asks.

"Mine," Adrian says immediately.

Dad puts his head in his hand. "Why would you think that's a good idea? After everything."

I don't know what everything is, and I don't have much time to think about it because Adrian is talking now. "Jade said she'd never been to the Bronx and barely goes on the subway so I took her."

"You were almost killed in Hunt's Point!" Dad exclaims.

Adrian rolls his eyes. "You guys are overreacting. I was mugged a few times. Nothing happened. That type of shit happens all the time."

"I'm talking about your dad."

Adrian immediately turns pale and clenches his fists by his side. "He's not my dad."