twenty - court

"Is everyone ready?" Adrian's lawyer, Jacqueline, asks in the courtroom two weeks later. "We're up next."

Adrian nods and looks at my parents nervously. His face is getting back to normal with just a few healing bruises left. It's a weird sight to see him next to me in a suit in a court lobby, looking scared. I never would have thought we'd be standing here four months ago.

"Don't worry," Dad says quietly as my mother and the lawyer talk amongst each other. "This is an easy case. We'll get you out of here in no time."

Adrian nods. "Thank you, Mr. Sanchez. I'm really sorry about everything."

Dad gives him a small smile. "You remind me a lot of myself when I was your age."

"Really?"

"Yeah," my dad responds. "Self destructive, stubborn, really messed up."

Adrian's face breaks out in a grin, one that I haven't seen in weeks. "How did you get over that phase?"

Dad's eyes flicker over to Mom, who's waving her hands, passionately in conversation with the lawyer. "A lot of help and support from other people. It took me a while to realize I had to change for myself and the people I love."

Adrian's eyes meet mine for a split second.

Dad looks over at me too and gives me a kiss on the forehead. "I'm proud of you, Jade. Even if you did break the rules more times than I can count."

I smile. "What can I say? I learned it from you."

He grabs me by the shoulders. "I'm glad you turned out as caring as your mother. Even though I passed down some serious problems onto you."

"Don't worry," I reply. "It's nothing we can't handle."

"What's going on?" Mom asks. Lately, I've noticed she always looks more worried and stressed than usual.

Dad smiles at her and grabs her hand. "Just talking."

She looks at Adrian. "Do you remember what we talked about?"

Adrian nods. "Let you guys do the talking. Therapy and medication if I get out of here."

"When," Mom corrects.

"Adrian!"

Carter practically bursts through the door, followed by their grandma. He runs up to Adrian and hugs him. Adrian looks surprised for a moment, but he hugs his little brother back.

"What are you guys doing here?" Adrian asks.

"Moral support," his grandma answers with a smile. "Good luck in there."

Adrian looks in between all of us for a minute and sighs. "Thank you."

"Okay, guys," Jacqueline interrupts. "Time to go in. Let's go."

I walk slowly behind with Adrian as everyone goes inside the courtroom. There's a prison guard waiting to escort him in, but I still grab his hand and shoot the guard a pleading look to give us a minute. He rolls his eyes, but doesn't say anything.

Adrian looks down at our hands with a soft expression. He looks back up at me with his hazel eyes sparking under the florescent light. "You know there's a chance I get sent back to juvie, right?"

"Yeah."

"I could go off the rails again."

"I know."

He grabs me by the shoulders and pulls me in for a hug. I let out a shaky breath into his chest, relieved to feel his touch again.

"Will you still stay with me?" He asks quietly into my hair.

"I'm here no matter what happens," I respond, pulling away. "Now, come on. We have to get you out of here and back home as soon as possible."