Chapter 8 - Change

Pari had been accompanied by her parents to New York. She had had barely anytime to even say a proper goodbye to Dev - she had so much to pack and get ready for that her final days in India became chaotic. When she arrived in New York she had a lot to organise and she was constantly on the move. She found student accomodation and attended university orientations - as an international student it was tougher for her to get used to everything. She explored New York with her parents and they helped her familiarise herself with the city she would now call home.
She had to say goodbye to her mother and father a month later and a week later she had to attend her first class. She was extremely anxious and nervous. How would she make new friends? She missed Dev so much and she had wanted to text him but she held herself back because she still felt hurt by his words. He had no faith in her and their friendship so what was the point?
Her first week of uni went by quickly and she had made a couple of friends - but she felt homesick and missed her parents tremendously. She talked with them everyday but it wasn't the same. She also missed Dev and desperately wanted to connect with him again but as she hadn't heard from him since she had left she hesitated - what if he didn't want to talk to her anymore?

"Maaa I miss you so much!" She was on FaceTime to her mother one afternoon about 3 months into her course.

"I know baby we miss you too. Can't wait to have you home for the holidays!"

"Same! Uhm how is Dev?" She had to ask - she was so curious and it hurt that he hadn't even asked her how she was doing in this foreign land all a lone.

"We aren't sure Pari, him and his parents moved house about a month ago. They wanted to be closer to his university."

This new hit Pari like lightning. He had moved away? They weren't neighbours anymore? She wouldn't see him when she went home for the break? Suddenly her heart felt heavy. "Do you know where they moved?" She asked hoping that maybe she can visit one day.

"They gave us a new address, but your papa misplaced it"

Oh no! How could he not tell her all this was happening? Even thought they argued she hoped he would still be there for her. Hadn't they been best friends all their lives - how could he change so much? She felt sad for a couple of days, wishing things were not so different. But guess they were different now and the distance really had affected their friendship.