The Circuitous Road to Peace (II)

The personal recording studio of Brainstorm In A Bottle, one of the top ten thousand most popular bands in Consensus Space, was situated in as remote a location as was possible. When it was first built for them it hovered above an untouched wilderness almost five thousand kilometers from the nearest settlement. A week later there was a small town directly beneath it.

Caggie Fairweather sat by the window scowling at the town below while she meticulously restrung her guitar. Zoya Orchid, the band's vocaster, stood behind her drinking a hot mug of wake and taking in the same view with a less cynical expression.

Breakfast Gingerline, who played a bespoke woodwind instrument known only as "Flossy", was asleep on one of the couches. He felt it was detrimental to his creative process to turn off a hangover and he had been suffering for his art all morning.

"Would I be a complete sell out if I went down there to see what they've got going on? They all seem like they're having fun," said Zoya.

"That is the literal definition of selling out," replied Caggie, barely paying attention.

"The literal definition has something to do with money," said Zoya.

"No, I don't think so," said Caggie.

"I still kind of want to go."

"Maybe you are a sell out then. We're the whole reason they're here. They're just going to kiss your ass so hard that it'll start bleeding. Don't be a gross fame whore."

"Lots of popular bands hang out with their fans."

"Yes. That's why the term sell out was invented."

Zoya sipped from her mug in frustration.

The studio chirped. It was the tone to indicate an incoming visitor. Both women looked confused.

"Are you expecting anyone?" Caggie asked.

"No," said Zoya. "Studio: identify visitor."

"Two visitors: Opaline Rose of Serendipity Square, Ylem, New Proxima and Cujo also of Serendipity Square-"

"Yeah yeah," said Caggie, cutting the computer off.

"That's unexpected," said Zoya.

"You know these people?" asked Caggie.

"You've met Opaline. A bunch of times. Remember she was the one who almost got us kicked off that starship on my 20th birthday party. Cujo is that gigantic dog that's always with her."

"Oh yeah! I liked her. The dog I could take or leave."

"When the people in the village see someone being authorized to visit they're going to be pissed," said Breakfast. He was sat up on the couch but slumped over in the depths of his hangover.

"Let them be pissed," sneered Caggie. "Maybe they'll leave."

"You should save all that anger for your music," said Breakfast.

"I have enough to go around," insisted Caggie.

The studio chirped again; Opaline's flier had docked.

"Here she comes. I wonder why she didn't call first," said Zoya.

"She's your friend," said Caggie.

One of the doors slid open and through it came Opaline Rose and her dog Cujo. She smiled infectiously.

"Zoya! It's been too long!" she exclaimed as she ran over.

The two women hugged.

"What are you doing here?" asked Zoya through laughter.

"I actually have a favor to ask and didn't want to pass up the excuse to come visit."