Joy to the World

It's the most wonderful time of the year! Christmas. Yule logs, ugly sweaters, parades, tamales (if you're Latino/a). A day of celebration, warmth, and family.

Estevez residence

Christmas is here for the Estevez household. For the IS student Manolo Estevez, instructors Teresa Estevez and Isabella Estevez-Lacroix, it's like a standard Mexican-American household. Tamales, champurrado (hot chocolate for all the non-Hispanic readers), opening presents on Christmas Day at midnight. And they've all got company coming over. In the forms of Ichika, Chifuyu, Houki, and the other girls. And for Chifuyu, meeting her colleagues' parents that are serving in the American Armed Forces: Petty Officer Ignacio Estevez (U.S. Coast Guard) and Captain Citlali Estevez (U.S. Navy). "Teresa, Manolo. Make sure the champurrado isn't smelling como orina." Ignacio shouted in the other room. Teresa makes it to the kitchen and did a taste test on it. "It's all good papa. Give it a few minutes until it's hot." Until then, a doorbell is rung. "Manolo hijo. I think it's your friends. Un muchacho y un china." (That's how my mother is when she sees someone of Asian heritage).

Manolo's POV

She must mean Ichika and Reen. Glad we had that doorbell with a security camera installed to know who's coming. I go to the door and I see Teresa in the kitchen with the chocolate. Isabella must still be video chatting with Mr. Lacroix in her room. I open it and see Ichika and Reen. "Ichika, Reen, come in. It's really cold out there. It's warm here." "Mr. Estevez." I then hear a certain stern feminine voice. "Ms. Orimura?! I'm sorry. I didn't see you." I then feel a pressure on my head. She was petting me. This was not something I'd expect from my teacher. Let alone a beautiful woman. "Call me Chifuyu. We aren't at the academy. Now where are your parents and your married sister." She asks me. "My mom and dad in the kitchen and Mrs. Lacroix is in her room chatting with her husband." She nods. "Got it. I'll see her later. Excuse me." I see her leave and go to the kitchen. I then feel being rushed like a defensive back rushing through the quarterback's blindside. "Manolo. Merry Christmas!" Reen was loud, but I can never make her change her attitude. She's too cute. "Merry Christmas to you too, Reen." We hear a knock. " I got it." Ichika shouted. I feel Reen is piggybacking me. I then see the door open to reveal Houki and Cecilia. "Ichika!" Both the girls shouted happily. "Hey Houki. Cecilia." Reen said still on me. "Reen?" They look at me suspiciously. "Manolo." They look at him like if he committed something atrocious.

"Houki

"Houki. Cecilia. Make yourselves at home." I try to play cool. "Ms. Shinonono. Ms. Alcott. Come in. Anyone who's friends with my son is my friend too." I hear my dad say. 'Thanks dad.' I internally say. "Hmm. Smells sweet." I hear Cecilia say. "Mexican hot chocolate. Same sweet, but texture is different than standard hot cocoa." I say to them. We see lines of cups. Looks like everyone is getting a cup. Can't help but we're missing some others. We then hear a knock. "On my way." Isabella is coming down. Must've finished her chat with her husband. We see who's at the door. Charlotte and Laura decided to come. She closes the door and see what looks like a fan. Something is written on the inside. Kanji transliteration says "merry." It couldn't be. Is it only her or did she bring her sister? "Hi hi hi!" Yup. It's the student council president. The one and only Tatenashi Sarashiki.