CHAPTER 18

ఒక పొగమంచు ఒక అభిమాని తేలిపోయాయి సాధ్యం కాదు

CHAPTER 18

"A fog cannot be dispelled by a fan."

"Not that I'm ungrateful, but why did you save us?" asked Ruaraidh.

"It was a gift for your young partner Master Dwarf. The details were explained by my Lord some time ago over dinner. Now, if you don't mind I think it's time we all departed. The mess on the sidewalk over there is going to draw more attention than any of us want." answered Huginn.

"Thank you both for saving us. I hope I can repay you both one day." Beathen said, calling his axe with the charm and moving to their vehicle.

"I'll hold you to that." replied Muninn.

"Don't forget to eat that apple. It will go bad eventually." Huginn warned, as they lifted off the sidewalk and flew out of sight quickly.

The back doors opened and Natsumi was already waiting for Ruaraidh with the first aid kit. Officer Baker was at the wheel eager to drive away from this madness. He was visibly shaken by the bizarre events unfolding before his eyes. He had known there was more to the world but now he was thrown into a world raining werewolves. As Ruaraidh rolled into the back of the van he grabbed the charms they had left behind in case the building security could detect Order equipment. Activating the Prometheus charm stopped the majority of his bleeding, but the bullets seemed to be stuck fast. They refused to be pushed out or allow the wounds too close.

"Officer Baker, start heading towards Dover and keep an eye out for anyone following us." Beathen said, closing the doors to the back of the van.

"What do you mean following us? What the hell did you two do in there?" Baker yelled back indignantly.

"I promise you will get answers but right now we need to move. Please!" he replied sternly.

The van lurched forward out into traffic, ripping the wires they had spliced into building security completely out of the wall. Now they just needed a way to remove the strange slugs from Ruaraidh. If times were normal they would go to the closest safe house and wait for instructions on how to remove them. Times were far from normal though.

"We're going to have to try and dig them out." Beathen sighed.

"I lad, I know. Just try and be quick about it." Ruaraidh said, grabbing hold of the wheel well.

"No! We can't try something like that! It could kill him!" exclaimed Natsumi.

"We don'a have a choice lass, there's not much backup left an we need everyone right now. But if you feel that strong about it I'm sure we could think of something else ta do beforehand." Ruaraidh choked out through a coy smile.

"If you weren't already bleeding..." she sighed through her teeth.

"For this to work you're going to need to remove all your charms. Regenerating around the instruments will just make it harder. I can't say how long it's going to take but I'll move as fast as I can." Beathen said, removing the extractor and forceps from their sterile packaging.

He motioned for Natsumi to give Ruaraidh a morphine syrette from the med kit. A few seconds later, Ruaraidh eyes glazed over telling Beathen the drugs had started working. He took a deep breath and hoped the triage he had been trained in would see him through this. He used the forceps to hold open the hole made by the bullet and activated the Sight of Helios to try and get a better look at the bullet. The x-ray portion of his vision showed several metal slugs buried in Ruaraidh's torso. Unlike most fired rounds he had seen, these were in perfect shape. It looked as though they had been pulled out of their casings and placed in their current position. When he looked for invisibility, he saw that there was a sigil carved on the round itself. It resembled an old-style anchor wrapped in barbwire.