Chapter 9: The Ups and Downs of Matrimony

*~* Marriage is a romance in which the hero dies in the first chapter ~ Anonymous *~*

*~* Marriage is an adventure, like going to war ~ G. K. Chesterton *~*

"What is the 'Irish War of Independence?'” Legolas asked as we walked along.

I slowed down my gait, trying to remember when I'd even mentioned it. "Oh. Right. I mentioned it when I said how old I was. Ireland is the country where I was born. They were fighting another country, England, to break away from her rule around the time I was born."

"I thought you said once that your home country was called the United Stated of America?"

"Yeah," I chuckled darkly. "I've always considered it my country. It's where I've lived most of my life, I guess. But I was actually born in Ireland, across the sea. My mother's people are Celtic, an Irish people. When I was living in the US, I had to routinely change my name and identity as I moved around so people didn't notice I wasn't aging normally. Eventually I got papers and an ID that said I was a born American citizen so I could become a Marine."

"The sea," Legolas muttered, longing in his voice, but then he shook his head, seeming confused by a lot of what I'd said. "Then your name is not Elaina?" he finally asked.

I laughed harder at his dismayed look, tugging on Legolas's hand to pull him to a stop. "Actually, Elaina really is the name my mother gave me. I've used many different ones since, but I always go by Elaina from time to time."

"And the name Rowan?" he asked.

My head tilted as I wondered where he'd heard the last name I'd most recently used.

"You introduced yourself as Detective Elaina Rowan when you first arrived in this world." A devilish grin suddenly split his face. "Though I suppose it would be rightly said that first you introduced yourself to me by breaking my nose and pressing my knife to my throat. But later you introduced yourself to the others with your name. I also heard Lady Galadriel address you thus."

My hand flew to cover my mouth in horror as I recalled my aggressive and defensive reaction after I'd been shot in the vest and then felt a hand suddenly descend on my shoulder as I had tried to recover the breath that had been knocked out of me. "My god, I can't believe you ever wanted anything to do with me after that. Not to mention I treated you like a bitch for so long afterward."

"Nay," he laughed. "It was truly not so long as that. You were perhaps standoffish for a time, but you finally eased to my presence."

I glanced down at our entwined fingers. "Guess I did more than that," I laughed, stepping into him and kissing his chin when he didn't lower his head to meet me. I chuckled at a naughty thought. "You must be masochistic—I mean, you must be a glutton for punishment. What in the world possibly interested you in me? Or do all males just have a streak of attraction for females who are cruel to them?"

He laughed. "Very much you remind me of a mother bear. Great is your roar in warning, and greater still is your bite if pressed, but to those you show your love, there is only kindness and such gentleness, though ever the fierce protectiveness remains."

I felt my cheeks heat. "Not exactly how a Marine imagines others thinking of them as," I muttered, wondering if I'd ever been called "gentle" before.

"Rowan?" he reminded.

I lowered back down to my heels with a sigh.

"Honestly? I've wondered for a long time what possessed me to go by Rowan this last time 'round when I bought new paperwork and ID for myself. My father's father was said to have frequented Kievan Rus', or as it was known then, the land of the Rus, which later became part of Russia." Legolas began looking lost, so I waved it away. "That's not important. Anyway, my grandfather was of course Fae, and fond of trees like most Fae are. In particular, he was fond of rowan trees, or ryabina trees as they were called there. He was said to always be searching for a certain rowan tree. I don't know why.