Chapter 1

Rose's Pov:

It was a cold night, proably only twenty degrees outside, yet I kept my windows open. I liked hearing the rain as it crashed against the ground. I liked hearing the trees shudder from the wind.

My bedroom was only lite up by the occasional lighting but I could see perfectly clear.

My wolf paced in the back of my mind, not finding the rain so soothing. It reminded her how weak we truly were, we could be killed at any moment by something as common as lightning.

'Rose?" She asks me, momentarily stopping her pacing, 'Do you think we'll find him tomorrow?'

I could feel the hope that flooded her as she thought this. She wanted our mate, she wanted to feel protected once again. And tomorrow was her biggest chance of finding him.

"High ranking wolves are granted high ranking wolves." My old Luna used to say.

But I no longer had a title, and tomorrow there would only be wolves with titles, or in rare occasions those who used to have a title. I was one of those rare cases.

'God, I hope not.' I tell her honestly.

I know it pained her not having a mate, but I just wasn't ready for that yet. Maybe one day, but that's a big maybe.

'One day you'll see, your mate is your greatest allie.'

She cuts off our connection, frustrated my opinion on mates hasn't changed. She should have known better. I wasn't ready to be hurt again.

She needed a mate, but me? I didn't. She wanted the protection and love and care, but I couldn't deal with that. I don't believe she was truly ready either.

I toss around in my bed, sleep suddenly not wanting to take over. I needed it for tomorrow, but would just have to suck it up. After awhile I look at the clock, it was a little past two a.m. I haven't had a restless night like this for awhile.

Not since I've came back to be exact, almost three months.

I snuggle deeper into my blankets letting the soft feel of the sheets soothe me. My body starts relaxing part by part, minute by minute. Infact I can't remember exactly when sleep takes over. I just remember the feeling of bliss that follows.

~~~

"Wake up, Rose." A voice coo's in my ear. With my advanced hearing, I could hear the sound of birds chirping outside of my window.

"What?" I grunt, rolling onto my stomach and pulling the pillow over my head.

The voice laughs at me, pulling the pillow away from me. I growl in annoyance, clearly not in the mood to get up.

"Today's the day." They squeal.

I shoot out of bed looking at Emma, my luna. She was more like a mother to me, though, always looking out for me. She giggles at my excited features, exiting my room to leave me to my doings.

I run to my closet, pulling out my basic outfit for the day. It includes, a long sleeved black t-shirt, black jeans and combat boats.

After showering I throw on my clothes leaving my wet hair out at the moment. After I let my hair dry for a minute I quickly french braid it, letting my long hair drop to one side.

In the morning excitment I almost for get to throw on my favorite ring, it was my dad's mating band, but luckily I remember.

~~~

I'm running late.

That's the one thought going through my mind as I make my way to the pack house. As I suspected, Emma's standing outside her car tapping her foot impatiently. Her cheeks are flushed from the cold. Once I reach the car she pulls me in for a hug.