57. Reunions & Introductions

FIVE YEARS LATER

My feet pound the pavement rhythmically. I keep my breathing steady and even as I run through Boston Common. I've been at it all morning into the afternoon. It's a beautiful, crisp fall day. This is my favorite time of year. It's the perfect temperature out.

My steps falter when I hear a familiar voice off in the distance. I veer left, toward the familiar sound. I've got to be imagining it. That voice is across the sea, far away from Boston. Once I get to the playground I look around for her.

I see her there shouting at a little boy, "Jamie!" She grabs a hold of him and dusts his jacket off as well as the mop of red hair atop his head. "Good lord, be careful."

"Sorry, mom." His small accented voice says before taking off toward the slides again.

She shakes her head and says, "crazy boy," to herself.

"Yeah, he gets that from his mother." I said as I came to stand alongside her. She turns to look at me, giving me a warm smile. I've missed that smile. "Hey Rae."

"Seth McCaslin." She puts her hands on her hips looking me up and down. "Five years and you haven't changed one bit."

"Neither have you." She rolls her eyes at that. "What? You're still as beautiful as ever."

"A few silver hairs thanks to that one." She nods over to the little boy.

"I can only imagine what dealing with a miniature male version of you is like. That's got to be extremely stress inducing." She gives me a playfully smack. "I'm sure Liam's got a head full of them from dealing with the two of you." That makes her snort out a laugh at that.

"You're not wrong." She looks up at me again. "You, on the other hand, your hair is still the same color as a raven's wing." She looks down at my ring-less hand. "Not married I take it?" I shake my head no. "No kids either then?"

"Nope, just living that single life." After you left there was no one I wanted to be with. I mean, yes, I'd slept with women and even dated some for a little while but nothing lasted. Irina had been the longest, we were together for a year and a half but after the wedding I'd broken up with her. She made me go through that self-torture and the last thing I am is a masochist.

"Well, it suits you. You look great, you're still in great shape." She looks back over to her son. "I take it you still have the gym?"

"Thanks. And yeah, I was actually just on my way there right now." I don't really know exactly how to state my next question. I guess I'll just do it blatantly. "So, what brings you back to the city, Rae?"

She looks back at me, "we're here for the next two months on holiday. I haven't been back in forever and I missed Rhys." I wonder if she still misses me. I can't let my brain go there though.

"Where's Liam?" I blurt it out before thinking.

"He's uh," she looks away from me and back at Jamie again "he's back in London on business. He'll be here for Christmas and then we're all going home." Because London is her home now, not Boston.

"So are you staying in a hotel or are you staying with Rhys and Lindsay?"

"Im staying with my brother. I still can't believe he's engaged." She lets out a laugh and so do I. "He's like a completely different guy with her."

"Right? Whoever thought he'd settle down?"

"Definitely not me."

"Hey, do you two want to come check the gym out?" I ask optimistically. "I don't think you've ever seen it." She gives me a look I can't decipher so I add, "you don't have to right now. Another time, maybe?"