The Start

Abby's POV

Okay, I was definitely in over my head.

This thing was probably twenty times my size, and even worse, immune to magic. Because of a giant club.

I spit blood onto the ground and pushed myself to my feet. It laughed.

I raised three fingers, all I could muster anymore. "Three stars, Bull!"

He brushed the attack aside with his club before swinging it down at me. I raised three fingers again, in a different formation.

"Three stars, Orion!"

The shield cracked and broke under the weight of the club, forcing me to take the majority of the hit.

It laughed again. "Leetle baby mage, can't even defend yourself, let alone this village."

No...no! I can't lose here! They're counting on me! "I am the patron wizard of this village, I am not a baby!" Seven. "Seven stars!" My most powerful. And most consuming.

Again, it didn't touch it.

Tears were falling down my face. There were others. But they were so risky. "Single star..." I gasped out, raising a single finger. A little pain was alleviated. Not much. But a little.

The club came down again.

I didn't have the energy to stop it.

Laughter broke out again. I gritted my teeth and raised my hand again. There was one more that I knew. One I had never tried. I was almost out of Mana. There was no way I could pull it off.

"Nine stars. Regulus." The golden beam meant absolutely nothing to it, but I took a breath at least. My pain was gone.

But I had no more mana.

"Is that all?" It brought the club up.

Heaven, give me two more spells. "Eleven stars.." I heaved, "Sirius!"

This shield cracked, but did not break. Good dog. One more. One more. "Twenty-two stars..." I was certain that it was over after this. I was certain that this would end the battle. For both of us.

I extended my left arm and drew back my right, aiming an invisible arrow. Star Shot. "Twenty-two stars, Orion!"

The Archer himself came to my aid, arming me and allowing me to launch a massive blast to the beast. Anything that remained of my injuries disappeared. But I had no Mana left.

I collapsed and smiled. It had to be over. I closed my eyes, expecting it to be my end.

A roar tore me from my peace. I looked up as the smoke cleared, and the beast still stood.

"That tickled." It grinned.

"No!" I screamed.

It stomped forward.

Yeah, I was in over my head.

"I'll let you rot here, while I go finish making a meal of your village."

Tears blinded me as I grabbed the biggest stick I could find off the ground. I ran at it, screaming and crying. "You will not touch this village!" My voice was hoarse and rang unheard. 

I suppose it had a literal Achilles heel. The stick jammed right through its skin, and it howled.

It fell.

It died.

And I stood, in tears, holding a broken, bloodied stick.

If I had known that's all it would take to take down the strongest beast to ever challenge the village, I never would have taken up magic.

~~~

A/n:  This chapter was written by hyenagal aka Al Skyll! Thanks for reading, please remember to vote and comment, and share! *Also go follow my cowriter Betawolf1221 but don't tell her I sent you*