Asteri and Magevo

Hex's POV

Nychtarino Asteri had first called me forth as Magevo. That was my name after all. I had been named that in my human life.

That's right. I was originally human. I was named Magevo, born because of a curse. I had two affinities. One: psychi. I could see through one’s human body to their soul, who they were and what demon held their soul. I could send the demons Kakotychia and Kali Tychi to plague their soul with good or bad luck. Two: Nychta. Night magic. The night skies were at my every command. I could see futures in the stars and dreams in those who wished on them. Two of the first magicks. 

I was born because a woman was cursed, and so I was named Magevo. I became a wizard. A nychta mage. I hid my psychi magic. But it was my first affinity. I couldn’t hide it forever.

I was killed for being a jinx, and was reborn to seek justice. As a black cat; a bad omen; a potential familiar, if any needed a soul like mine.

Asteri was a young girl, not even a wizard. But she’d been teaching herself to read, starting with a book on magic. She cast the easiest spell. Nota. The familiar spell. Her soul needed one that wouldn't let her forget anything. That is, mine.

She had no name. Her family and village hated her, and wanted her dead. They refused to name her.

I called her “girl” at first. Since calling me by my true name would render Nota null, she named me Hex. She couldn’t sleep, got distracted easily, and was hated by everyone she met. But she had brought me to her side, so she was mine. 

She had an affinity for Nychta. Interesting

The Master told her that for her to call forth a familiar with an affinity was rare, and implied that she had great magical power. He was welcoming of my affinity for psychi, although he called it “Luck.” Not right. But not my business.

He called Asteri “girl” too. Then Abysmal. Then Abyss. Then Abby. That became her name. Although the village took to calling her Nebula. 

Then I did something completely out of line. I named her. Familiars only name their wizards if they are very close to their wizard, if they desire for that wizard to be the only wizard they serve until they die. In other words, the wizard becomes a familiar's familiar.

Nychtarino Asteri. Night Star. 

But I called her Abby. 

And she called me Hex. 

~~~

I opened my eyes, I felt less tired, having been desummoned for a length of time. Abby...she looked exhausted. Her soul was in the hands of a demon I had long hated. A demon she often surrendered her soul to. 

Monaxia, or as I called it, Nebula.

I stretched and lashed my tail at the demon. “I hope you have an explanation for me.”

“I do. And when I’m done, I’m going to call your name. It’s time for us to part ways.”

I turned to glare at her. You absolutely will not. But fine. Let’s hear it.