The Familiar's Story

Hex's POV

My form was normal this morning. It hadn't looked like this in a while. That meant that Abby had finally slept. Good things. Except she still wasn't home. I was lonely.

I tried desperately to amuse myself with magic tricks and games, but they weren't cutting it after weeks of being stuck alone in the tower.

"What is the purpose of opposable thumbs IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO OPEN DOOR KNOBS!"

Suddenly the door jingled. I sat bolt upright and immediately turned to run down the stairs. "Abby! Finally! Stop using my ma--" The girl at the base of the stairs was definitely not my Abby. "You're not Abby…" I growled.

She braced herself just before I jumped off the stairs at her. She dodged, barely. She's not much faster than Abby. I can probably catch her. 

I quickly regained my footing and went in again. 

"Rigescunt Indutae!" She flashed a wand and I froze midair.

I landed hard on the ground, and immediately she turned and ran up the stairs.

I had to act quickly. If she was trying to steal something of Abby's, she was in for it.

I quickly shifted to my cat form, and back to my mage form to loosen the spell before bolting up the stairs.

She had Abby's runes in her hand. The runes I gave her. Not. Good. 

I leapt across the entire floor and mauled her into the wall.

"Ha! You think you can just waltz in here and steal my familiar's runes?! You've got another thing coming." I snarled, baring my teeth.

Suddenly all of my wind got knocked out of me as she kicked me in the stomach. My grip loosened, and she shot out.

I wheezed and took off after her.

As she ran out the door she turned back, "Somnum!"

The room spun. I could see Abby, outside the border, yelling. What was she yelling about now? She could stop the thief herself for all I cared. I was tired.

Except, the thief stole my runes. The runes I gave Abby. She couldn't steal those. 

Everything went black.