Within the Hut

Emily's pov

I sat in my hut, just hours after my first real fight with the Nebula, exhausted and hating every inch of me that existed.

Glacier, my snowy owl, hopped around the hut unhappily. 

I stroked her feathers and pushed open my door to let her hunt for the night.

Setting my wand away, I went back to my potion and made a grab at an apple to ease my roaring hunger. 

Not one item of food reached my eyes except a few crumbs.

The bag is still at that blasted village!

Cursing at myself, I pushed scrolls aside and went to look for what I had left.

My potion supplies were still full, but not one glimmer of food shone anywhere among them.

I sighed when a draft entered the hut.

I never left the door open...?

I turned my head to glance at the door. My heart seemed to stop with sudden fear and adrenalin.

NEBULA..?!

I yelped and threw myself toward my wand. I felt the wood meet my fingers as a hand met my neck and slammed into the hut wall.

Pain shot through me as Nebula held me against the wall, my grip on my wand slipping.

Ironic. Going to loose here like she did in her village...

Except I knew.
There would be no revenge when the other was done with me.

The look upon her face scared me.
She wouldn't hesitate this time...

"I am finishing this!" She snarled and I knew she meant it by the hatred that her tone screamed.

Her hand that was clasped around my neck began to tighten.

Choked to death, by a Starmage.

I couldn't let that happen.

With what little air that available, I barely choked out my spell.

"S-Somnun..!"

Her grip loosened and I gasped for breath as she stumbled backward.

I spun to face her, gripping my wand fully now. 

Why isn't she asleep. My spell hit her!

Her face was covered in exhausted anger and a thought drifted across my mind.

"Sit down.." I told her softly and had expected her reply.

" Why should I" she snapped, her gaze suspiciously searching me.

"Because I can help that insomnia of yours." I slowly walked to my cauldron and prayed she wouldn't attack as I turned my back.

I could feel her gaze pierce the back of my throbbing neck with disbelief and rage as I emptied my cauldron that originally contained my illusions.

"How did you know.?" I heard her hiss from behind. 

I thought it was obvious since my spell didn't work.. A sleeping spell fail? Never heard of.

"I hit you with a sleep spell, course you're a StarMage. Never expected you to know anyway." I informed her and began using the herbs I had to try and heal the one person who could kill me any second.

You could easily kill her too! She's at your mercy!

"This is a trick! Isn't it?" The Nebula snapped and I could feel my annoyance returning. " A Daemonium-"

"Emily! Please... Thank you..." I cut her off with a glare.

If I was gonna help her I wanted a change in my name. 

" Now Nebula, I-"

" Abby" She snapped as I had done to her.

So she does have a name.. Interesting..

I examined her a bit, looking for the murderous look I was so used to.

But it never came.

Her face relaxed.. She acted as if-

As if I wasn't a monster...
My thoughts echoed.

Something purred in my chest. Respect? Gratitude? I couldn't tell. It seemed like I was no longer an enemy, but maybe- just maybe.

A potential ally...