chapter twenty-three

We spent our winter break at Grimmauld Place. Most of the first week was spent comforting the Weasley's and visiting Arthur, and the second week was simply boring.

On the last day of break, Mrs Weasley poked her head into Harry and Ron's bedroom, where they were playing Wizard's chess, while Hermione, Ginny, and I watched.

"Harry, Y/n, dears, could you two come down to the kitchen? Professor Snape would like to speak with you."

I sighed and reluctantly followed her downstairs, Harry close behind me. Why was Snape here?

We entered the kitchen and the professor immediately told us to sit down, starting a small squabble between Snape and Sirius.

"The headmaster had sent me here to tell you both this. It is his wish for you to study Occlumency this term."

"Study what?" I asked blankly.

"Occlumency, Potter. The magical defence of the mind against external penetration. It's an obscure branch of magic, but a highly useful one."

"Why do we have to study it?" Harry asked.

"Because the headmaster thinks it's a good idea," said Snape smoothly. "You will receive private lessons once a week, but you will not tell anyone what you are doing, least of all Dolores Umbridge. Do you understand?"

"Yes," Harry and I said together.

"Who's going to be teaching us?" Harry asked.

"I am."

"Why can't Dumbledore teach them?" asked Sirius aggressively. "Why you?"

"I suppose because it is a headmaster's privilege to delegate less enjoyable tasks," answered Snape. "I assure you I did not beg for the job. I will expect both of you at six o'clock on Monday evening, Potter. My office. If anybody asks, you are taking Remedial Potions."

He turned on his heel and walked away.

~~~

I smiled, filled with excitement as I walked through the hallways. I entered the Slytherin common room and dashed over to Star and Draco, happy to see them. I gave Draco a hug, and he wrapped his arms around me, relaxing his shoulders. A sense of safety and calmness rushed over me, making me hesitant to let go. Once I did, I looked at the twins.

A sense of sadness seemed to wash through my friends as the prior excitement melted away. Star still seemed slightly giddy, but Draco's grey eyes were dark and distracted.

"How was your break?" I asked, hoping to lighten the mood.

Star hesitated, thinking of what to say. "It was okay," she finally answered. "A lot happened."

I waited for an explanation, but when I didn't get one, I spoke up. "That's fun."

~~~

"Y/n Potter," Snape called. He stood by the fire in the common room, reading names from a list. "Draco Malfoy."

I nervously ran up to him, Draco close behind me. "Yes, sir?" I said.

"These are your Inquisitorial Squad badges," he said. "Professor Umbridge would also like to speak with the two of you. Please go to her office."

"Yes, Professor." I looked at my new badge. It was green, with an oddly-shaped line going down the center. I pinned it next to my Prefect emblem, then walked out of the common room.

Draco and I were quiet as we walked through the halls. For a Saturday in the middle of January, the halls were awfully empty. We occasionally passed a younger student, usually only to see them either cower away, due to our Slytherin robes and Prefect badges, or stare in awe, due to our last names.

A part of me felt a need to say something to Draco, or to grab his hand, or to do something to interact with him, but I ignored it, focusing on the mission at hand: getting to Umbridge's office.

When we arrived, she let us in quickly.

"Thank you for coming," she said cheerfully, voice squeaky as ever.

I forced a smile in return. "Professor Snape said that you wanted to speak with us, Ma'am?"

"Yesm I wanted to talk to you about your positions in the Inquisitorial Squad," Umbridge answered. "While I understand that you both are the Slytherin Prefects for your year, I believe that the two of you would also make impeccable leaders."

"Might I ask why?" Draco said.

"Your reputations exceed you. Both of you have kept exceptional grades every year, and your disciplinary records are almost entirely clean. In addition, you're both Prefects, which means that you know how to handle responsibility."

Umbridge paused, and I jumped in, hoping to get a question answered. "Professor, I don't mean to be intrusive, but I can't help but wonder if this has something to do with our families?"

My question surprised her, but Umbridge found the right words quickly. "You're correct, Miss Potter. In your case, you will be able to do even more work for the Inquisitorial Squad since you are a Potter. I'm dearly sorry to have to ask this of you," she said, emotions obviously fake, "but you would be an amazing spy. You can see exactly what your brother is up to and report it back to me." She paused again, dropping her voice so I had to lean in to hear. "There will be extra rewards for that."

I remained silent, but Draco spoke instead. "What about me, Professor?"

"Well, Mr Malfoy, you come from an incredibly powerful family, and your name alone has created a status for you amongst your peers. I believe that any of your misbehaving peers will be more tempted to come clean to you because of your status. Whether that is due to fear or respect, I don't know, but I do know that it will be very beneficial."

"Thank you, Professor," Draco said, looking at me. I took a moment to study his eyes; they were tired and dull, and the bags under his eyes told me that he was stressing about something enough. What was bothering him?

I shook away my thoughts and focused on Umbridge.

"If either of you have any thoughts as to why you should not be in this leadership role, please speak up. If you are both free of concerns, I will have Professor Snape deliver letters explaining your benefits. You are excused."