chapter forty-one

"We're going out tonight. You and your brother had better not cause any trouble, or, believe me--"

"Have fun at dinner, Uncle," I interrupted.

Vernon, Aunt Petunia, and Dudley left and I ran upstairs to Harry, happy that we had the house to ourselves.

Harry, however, didn't share my excitement. "We need to get out of here," he complained.

"How can we leave?" I asked, throwing myself onto his bed.

"I don't know--"

Multiple pops from downstairs alerted us that someone had Apparated inside. We rushed to see who was in the house.

"Hermione! Ron!" Harry exclaimed. Fred and George were already speaking with Tonks, who stood with them. Hagrid, Bill Weasley, Mad-Eye Moody, Lupin, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Mundungus Fletcher, Fleur Delacour, and Mr Weasley were all standing in the parlor.

"Harry, Y/n," Lupin said, "go pack your trunks. Quickly."

We ran up and did as told, and when we returned, a plan seemed to be hatching.

"Alright, you ready?" Moody said, pulling out two bottles of dark liquid.

"What are we doing?" I asked.

"Polyjuice Potion!" he explained. "The younger ones will dress up as one of you while we take you to the Burrow." He turned to the others, handing the younger of us one of the vials. "Ready?"

Hermione and Fleur drank, their features shifting to match mine while Fred, George, and Mundungus turned into Harry. Once everyone had changed to look like me or Harry, we found an adult to travel with and left the house.

The real Harry and I followed Hagrid and stepped into his flying motorcycle. With a jolt, we left the ground and flew into the air. We took off, heading North. The flight was calming.

My peace only lasted a moment, ending when two Death Eaters appeared next to the motorcycle. Harry held onto Hedwig, his owl, shielding her, but that wasn't enough: one of the Death Eaters shot a Killing Curse and it hit Hedwig, sending her flying over the side of the bike.

As Harry absorbed the shock of his beloved pet's death, Hagrid fell unconscious due to the Stunning spells being shot at him. The bike began to fall at an alarming rate. I stood up, holding on to Hagrid's back to steady myself as I grabbed the steering wheel, and directed the bike upwards again. Hagrid awoke after a moment and took the wheel back.

Once I sat down again, a searing pain split through my neck from my lightning-bolt scar. Harry flinched, holding his forehead. Voldemort had to be nearby.

I looked around, trying to spot him, and I saw him flying unaided at the same level as the bike.

"Avada Kedavra!" he yelled, holding a wand that was dark compared to the white one he usually had.

"Priori Incantatem!" Harry and I yelled, watching with satisfaction as Voldemort's wand split in two halves.

We flew faster, shaking the Death Eaters. We flew until we reached Ted Tonks' house, the safe house. We crashed through a barrier and onto the ground, entering the house quickly.

"Death Eaters, loads of them," Harry explained, "we were chased--"

"Death Eaters? What d'you mean, Death Eaters?" Ted Tonks said, walking up to us. "I thought they didn't know you were being moved tonight."

"They knew."

We walked through the house, following Ted.

"Here's the Portkey, be careful," he said, showing us the small teacup. "Tell Molly and Arthur I say hello."